33. Illegal

Kay watched Kyle getting on his motorcycle and riding off, a knot in her chest. No matter what he understood out of it, sudden death couldn't be something pleasant.

"Cage's girl, come with me," the short Mexican guy said.

He seemed to be the boss there, which was weird since he was so unimpressive and actually wearing a wifebeater. But he bullied Kyle and the crowd parted when he walked. Plus, he'd promised Kyle he'd keep her safe, so she followed when he asked.

Santa Venusia was a weird place. Everything was so flashy, from the cars and motorcycles to the clothes. If she'd had a cotton bra on, preferably in neon colors, she could've fit in even without Kyle's shirt, though to be honest, she'd never give that up. The music, the raunchy people, the party atmosphere, it was all so different from what she was used to, and it felt like she'd landed in the middle of the Fast and Furious franchise.

She hurried to catch up with the guy. "What happens now?"

"Now, your boy Cage wins Chucho some motorcycles," he answered, rubbing his hands together.

He reached a rough iron ladder and started climbing. Kay followed him and the two stopped on a platform that gave them a great view of the area. That's when she noticed that the crowd and vehicles were actually displayed in a circle, leaving a long strip empty. Kyle had stopped his motorcycle on one end of the strip. Another guy had parked on the opposite end.

"So that's what Kyle does for you?" She cringed once the words were out. Since this dubious Chucho guy called Kyle Cage, maybe he didn't actually know his name and she'd just thrown it out there.

"Yes," Chucho answered. "He's my best."

"And how does he do that?"

"You'll see."

The roar of motorcycle engines filled the air and the crowd cheered. Kay leaned on the platform rail and watched Kyle and the other guy drive off at the same time. Towards each other. At breakneck speed. Her heart started pounding like crazy, faster with every second in which none of the riders changed direction. What the hell was Kyle doing? They were heading for full frontal impact.

"The guy has balls," Chucho comented as if they were watching a game of badminton. "But he has nothing on Cage."

Kay leaned forward, wanting to scream, having no idea what to do or say. Maybe a second before impact, the other guy swerved and avoided Kyle who continued his wild race towards the other end of the strip. Chucho cheered along with the crowd as Kyle turned the bike around and headed back.

Her knuckles had turned white and her entire body shook. A strange surge of elation coursed through her body as adrenaline started pumping. Sudden death. Adrenaline. Kyle was a freaking adrenaline junky. And crazy. Completely crazy.

"No time for congratulations. Two more bikes to win." Chucho turned towards the other end of the platform.

She followed, her eyes on the man who'd lost his Honda who threw his helmet to the ground. The crowd shifted and headed to the other side of the warehouse Kay was on, towards the abandoned iron skeleton of what looked like a multistory parking lot. Kyle was already there together with the guy with the BMW.

Some chick in tight neon-green daisy dukes and matching bra held a flag. Once she lowered it, the two motorcycles were off, racing each other on the narrow ramps of the parking lot. Kay could hear the screeching of the tires at every curb from where she stood.