15. The End

Kathy looked into the mirror glued to the inside of the door to her locker. She'd gotten her eyeliner right, so it was just a delicate line above her lashes, making her eyes stand out. This was the last thing she'd done in an attempt to patch things up with Donnie. Changed a bit of who she was with makeup and heels. It made her feel hollow and inappropriate somehow. But after the news about her brother, she didn't want to lose anyone else.

It had been a week since her parents had announced William was missing. His work hadn't heard from him in a month. No one had. She'd personally called all the people and places which could hold any clue to where he was. Every night, before bed, she called him. It always went straight to voicemail, but hearing his voice gave her the least bit of solace.

He was her big brother. She was sure he wouldn't ignore her desperate messages, leave her like this. He would never do anything to hurt her.

So after an enite week of crying and trying, she entertained a possibility everyone refused to accept. There was only one logical answer for his disappearance, after all. William was dead. He was never coming home.

Once she accepted this very probable truth, she'd cried her eyes out for three whole days, pushing everyone away except for Kelly who'd come over to comfort her. And Kyle who had the decency to take no for an answer and back off when she'd told him they'd talk later.

Donnie didn't get the memo. He called, he texted, he forced his presence on her, bustling around her like a mother hen, but his arms held no comfort, just resent. His anxiousness, his nerves, they made everything worse, like it was all about him and she was over-exaggerating. Maybe she was, but she felt her pain was justified.

And it was that more than anything that finally broke the chains she'd put around herself.

This wasn't the Donnie she fell in love with. The easygoing boy she could share anything with, who was there for her and made her feel safe and loved. This guy was an abusive asshole and she'd had enough.

It was over.

Now all she had to do was let him know.

As she walked towards his locker, it felt like a part of her was falling apart. Breaking up with Donnie was like tearing half of herself and throwing it away. All her childhood memories had him in them, everything she knew about love revolved around him. And yet, her footsteps were steady and her mind clear.

Donnie was by his locker, shoving books inside with shaky hands. As he turned, he swayed, unsteady on his feet again. Kathy took in a deep breath, but could make out no alcohol. Thank God he was sober and she didn't have to put it off.

"Hi, Donnie."

His red, glazed eyes focused on her and a weird, creepy smile settled on his face. "Hey there, sugar." Without warning, he grabbed her and pulled her into a rough kiss.

Kathy put her hands on his chest and pushed him back as hard as he could. "What do you think you're doing?"

"We've been doing pretty well lately. I think we deserve an upgrade." He tried to kiss her again, but she ducked away. "Don't be difficult. I know something that would certainly take your mind off your brother." He grabbed her ass and squeezed.

She slapped his hand away. "No, Donnie, stop it. We need to talk."

She'd wanted to do this in private, but he was too rough, too touchy-feely and, despite her better judgment, she was scared to be alone with him. She'd rather face public embarrassment than risk him forcing himself on her.

"Are you sober?"

The remark earned her an exasperated eye roll. "Of course I am. What kind of question is that?"