Five

Chapter Five

My knees shook as I watched my bags of clothing and belongings get stacked inside Dominic's car. Dominic was saying his last goodbyes to his females, promising that he might come back in a few weeks if he still hadn't found a mate. He was paying extra attention to one girl, in particular, his hand on the curve of his waist with his lips pressed to her ear. She kept blushing and giggling, one of her hands digging her perfectly manicured nails into his bicep.

Alfie and Andrew and the rest of his pack that had come were already in their car and driving away, leaving me with the stupid dickwad.

At least I'd have Alfie when we got to Dominic's pack. I mean, when he wasn't busy getting shagged, but still. He'd be near as I went through the hell that would be working for Dominic.

I didn't want to go. I really didn't. I wanted to make a run for it, but Dominic had kindly instructed a couple guys my age to stand and watch me while he finished up the last few things.

"Our pack really could've used the PR of having him choose one of our girls," the one on my left said.

I looked up at him with a small smile. "I can fix that."

The one of my right snorted. "And how's that? As far as I can see, you've ruined it by flashing yourself at him."

I ignored the little jab at me, and moved on. "I just convince him that one of the girls here is the best. Easy. I'm working for him. Not seducing him. If it were my choice, I'd be upstairs in my room right now."

The two of them laughed in sync, and it was then I noticed they were twins. Why couldn't I remember their names? "Why're you laughing?"

"We aren't blind. Everyone knows that you and King Dominic have something going on."

"I'll tell you what's going on. I can't stand the guy. But Dominic-"

"Dominic what?" Dickwad tested, looking over at me, now only a few feet away, since he had finished saying goodbye. His eyes challenged me to finish my sentence. And who am I to back down from a challenge?

"Is a dickwad," I replied back evenly.

Dominic laughed boisterously, ruffling my hair. "You're cute. Get in the car. It's time to go."

"No," I said bravely.

His eyes darkened slightly, but he didn't say anything to me or move towards me. And yet somehow it was still enough to have me submitting to his will. The two boys were dismissed, and I pulled myself into the backseat. His driver was already in place, so Dominic slipped in right beside me.

This was my last chance. "I really would like to stay here," I announced.

Dominic raised an eyebrow at me. "Thank you for your input."

I gasped. "Stop brushing me off! I don't want to go to your stupid property with you!"

"There's no need to be nervous, Caroline. Everyone that resides in my region is very friendly to my human workers. You'll have plenty of friends. Plus Alfie will be there," Dominic said soothingly when he caught my shaky hands as I tried to put my seatbelt on, once I realized I wasn't going to change his mind at this point.

"How long of a drive is it?"

"Six hours."

I grimaced. How was I not going to kill him in that time span? Or jump out of the moving car? "Would it make it easier on you if I shifted?" Dominic asked. "I've been told my wolf is a good cuddler."