Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Three

C A R O L I N E 

"Dominic," I whispered as we stood once again at the gate, saying goodbye to all the members of the pack.

"Yes, sugar?"

I paused in answering to receive a tight hug from a woman named Ana. Just when I was going to release her, she tightened her grip on me. "Good luck tonight, you'll need it," she whispered before turning away to stroll out with her husband.

My mouth went dry at the thought of what she said. Everyone here believed that after everyone left and Dominic and I went into the house, we were going to have sex. Not just sex, but sex that may lead to me getting pregnant. I felt my jaw clenching tightly, but I somewhat zoned out, numb to the fact that Dom was holding my waist and pinching my side softly to get my attention. All that we did tonight was a sham. All the gifts they gave us, all the praise and happiness and love that most of the pack had presented Dominic and I with was for nothing. I let Dom lie to his people.

If any of them found out that we held this ceremony with the intention of not doing anything, surely they'd cast me out, if not Dominic as well. It would be a disaster and for once, all of the individuals that said I was going to ruin everything, that I was undeserving of Dom... They'd be right.

"Caroline." I heard him speaking to me, but my mind was otherwise occupied. Guilt filled me as I took in the table of gifts and then heard the memory of Dominic professing his love for me. A love that I was not ready to give back to him. "Give me and my mate a moment, please."

A few moments later, Dominic was cupping my face and forcing me to look up at him, his fingers tapping on my skin. "Caroline, Cara, look at me. Come back to earth, please," he murmured. "You're stressing yourself out. What are you thinking?"

"I'm sorry I can't say it back," I gushed. "And that I'm not ready in time for the ceremony to be real. That I made you lie to these people, your family, and-"

He held my face securely, shaking his head. "Stop. Stop that. This was my decision, my fault. I decided to have the ceremony so suddenly and I told the Elders that I wasn't ready. Because if you aren't ready, then neither am I. That's how this works, sugar. We are a team now. Please, stop second guessing yourself and us as a team. Look at me." My eyes had left his face for a moment and his sharp command brought me back. "We aren't the first ones to do this. Would you rather I have sex with you tonight, before you're ready? Because I wouldn't. Besides, what's the difference between having this now versus in a couple months, or however long it takes?"

"I just feel like we are lying to them."

"We aren't. You are freaking yourself out." He kissed the corner of my mouth softly, chastely. "Are you able to finish up or do you want to go up to bed now? Either is fine."

After a few deep breaths, I shook my head. "No, I'll stay." I had to. It was the least I could do for the sweet pack members that had gifted us things and supported us tonight. Dominic reassured me that it was fine if I wanted to leave, that no one would blame me, but I promised him I wanted to finish it.

About ten minutes later, everyone had left. Save for Nina and Jeff, who were by the patio talking in hushed voices. "Great job today, sugar. Thank you for going through with this at my side," Dominic said as he closed the gate and then entwined our fingers, strolling towards his second in command and his mate.

Nina saw us coming first and I saw a flash of fear cross her face. She nudged Jeff and said something to alert him to us and they both shut up. Dominic glanced knowingly down at me and I believed that we were about to create a war. I clutched his hand a little tighter.