Chapter 9

Recap,

So I just stopped.

I stopped and sat on the dirty pavement. I knew how this would end. He would catch me, we would probably fall, and nothing else would happen the way it does in books. I wouldn't let myself fall.

Fall in love.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ring-a-round the rosie,
A pocket full of posies,
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down.

**************************

I knew then the mistake I made. All he wanted was to talk, and yet here I am running from him. Well I didn't want to talk, but I knew we needed to.

With my head on my knees and arms wrapped securely around them, I let him come. I knew if I didn't, things might get bad. For me that is.

Things probably wouldn't get bad per say, just a little more complicated.

I could hear the foot steps getting louder and louder. I could feel the body heat radiating off of him as he got closer to me. I knew he was leaning down to meet my current height. Or lack of. I knew he looked like a frog without even looking up.

"Why are you running from me?" He said in a small voice. Something I wasn't expecting. HE always yelled at me when I ran. Everything would get worse if I ran. Yet, they would be worse if I didn't run.

He grabbed onto my arms gently and slowly pulled them away from my face. Slow enough, and gentle enough that at any moment I wanted to pull away, I could. 

I didn't though. As soon as my arms were closer to my sides, I lifted my head up to meet his gaze. His gold, amber colored gaze. There was sadness there, patience, and something else. Something I couldn't quite describe. It was something dark.

"I don't know." I whispered so low a human couldn't hear me, but I knew he could hear me. Werewolf hearing and all. I think he could tell I was lying, I knew why I was running from him. I also knew that he wouldn't want to know why.

I didn't want to get attached to him, because when I leave again, it would hurt both of us. He wanted this, us, to be what every wolf out there thinks about. Dreams about. Finding a mate, one that will love and cherish you and you can do the same. Blah, blah, blah.

I didn't want that. Why? Simple. Most wolves, Alphas in particular, like to stay and settle down in one spot. If my father found another mate he would settle down at the castle too. Not the point. I couldn't settle down, it just wasn't possible when HE was still a threat to my mental state. Sure he hasn't messed with me yet since I've been in this cozy town.

Then again I have only been here for four days.

He abruptly stands up, shocking me, and walks away from me. Towards the tree line. Toward the forest where wolves can hide.

I wanted to know if I did something like accidentally ignoring him. I almost got up and followed him. Maybe that's what he had wanted me to do, but I knew I couldn't get attached, things would get bad for me being with him. Even if no one knew it yet.

So instead I sit there for a few more moments thinking. Then I got up walked over to my car and drove out of the parking lot, doing what I was going to do before I got stopped by wolf guy.

Explore the town of Palatka.

I still really needed to learn his name.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○