A first date

*I really have to correct my bad habit of writing a chapter halfway then continuing it after publication. Sorry guys! XOXO Vardin.*

"Ames! Are you freaking kidding me?"

I hauled Amy aside, avoiding the rest of the team with much difficulty. Just imagine eighteen varsity girls jumping up and down, shrieking with delight despite Mrs Carter's yelling over them to calm down and demonstrate sportsmanship.  They were ecstatic because we had hit our stunts accurately without any falter. Let's just say they were fairly confident that we would remain State Champion for the third year running. Me?  I wanted to wring Amy's slender neck.

Amy grimaced. Obviously she hadn't anticipated Trevor to try to pull a Ethan.

"Eh... I wasn't expecting him to do that?" She bared her teeth in an embarrassed grin.

I seethed.

"I am not sure whether I ought to kill you or Trevor. What if my parents see him?" I gestured wildly towards the arena, where the action was still ongoing.

Amy put her hands up in surrender. "I don't think it will be that bad. Trevor is just a little socially challenged. He must have thought that if he did the same thing as Ethan, you'd like him. Which is kind of sweet, isn't it?"

I gave Amy a stare that would have singed every strand of hair off her head.

"I think the word you are going for is creepy." I forced the angry words from between gritted teeth.

"Give him a chance, Mai."

"No way. Not after he pulled such a creepy stunt!"

"Mai Tan! I am losing patience with you. This is not true CD spirit! At least he is doing something, not like Ethan Kaufmann!"  There Amy went. Whenever we fought and she was in the wrong, she'd go on the offensive if she couldn't win on the defensive.

"Stop dragging Ethan into the conversation. This has nothing to do with him, and you know it! You're just trying to force me to like Trevor, so you can get him to do your online sleuthing for free!"

Amy flushed in anger.

"You're too much, Mai!" She yelled. "You don't appreciate others when they're nice to you. I am watching out for you! You should be glad that this guy likes you as much as he does. You don't understand how lucky you are! I'd kill to have someone care that much about me.."

"Then have him yourself!"

"I would if I could!" The second Amy uttered those words, she covered her lips with her fingers. Eyes opened wide.

I gaped.

"Oh my god!" I pointed a trembling finger at Amy. "You like Trevor McGill!"

Amy's entire face went redder. "No I don't!"

The plot thickens, I thought. No wonder she kept pushing Trevor to me. She couldn't believe her own attraction to him. The pretty popular drama chick with the school geek. The stereotypes would spontaneously combust. Oh shoot. What were we going to do with that little payment I owed him?

"You should go on the date with him tomorrow."

"No." Amy shook her head sadly. "He only has eyes for you."

Everything felt very wrong and complicated. Amy, my best friend, was interested in Trevor, who for some reason I couldn't comprehend, was interested in me, whereas I was interested in Ethan, who didn't give a damn about me. And then we had Qin and that chestnut brown haired man thrown into the mix.

I sighed.

"You sure you want me to go out on the date with him tomorrow? I can always fake that my injury has worsened."