Der Freak

I must have banged my head hard. There was no way Ethan would just show up at the nick of time. But if this was the effect of a concussion, please let it last forever. I closed my eyes in ecstasy, savoring every second of the illusion before it could be shattered.

"Thank you for catching her." Trevor's voice sounded worried yet firm. "I will take over from here."

I heard the accented bass that I had missed hearing so much. "It's alright, kid. I got her."

I felt relief wash over me. I deliberately slackened one hand, pretending to be in a dead faint. Ethan hoisted me up effortlessly, cradling me in his powerful, manly arms. I shackled the desire to open my eyes to seek his.

"No, you should let her go now." Trevor carefully emphasized his words, and his hands came around my person as well. Ethan's grip tightened and shifted upwards in reflexive response (as if there were much difference between six feet and six feet three *roll eyes*).

Two guys fighting over me. Enactment of very other girl's greatest fantasy! Me, my eyelids just fastened tighter. I prayed that neither guy would suddenly let go and we were not causing too ugly a scene. I would hate for my parents to find out, especially since we live in a small town. Everybody knew everybody here.

"I know Mai. Prof and Mrs Tan must be worried. Why did you bring her out when her leg is injured? She must have fainted from the pain." Ethan injected an accusing tone into his query.

"Mai said it was ok," Trevor replied defensively. "Who are you anyway?"

"I live next door."

"You're that guy." Trevor inflected derision. "I know all about you." Eyes shut, I smouldered inwardly. What the hell has Amy been telling him? Why did he make it sound as if our relationship was close enough for me to tell him about Ethan? That derp! I resisted the urge to get up and punch him in the arm.

"Really? I don't know anything about you." Sarcasm dripped from Ethan's scathing tongue. The frigid air became warmed from the heat of their glares as the two guys confronted each other silently over my limp body.

"Where's your car, kid? Drive it over then you can send her back. She is clearly not in a state to continue walking anymore. We will wait here for you."

Trevor hesitated for a long time before letting go of me and replying, "Ok. Don't leave her. I will grab my car. I parked four blocks away."

I heard his quick footsteps dropping off into the distance, then Ethan muttering darkly "Hasenhirn", as he walked in the opposite direction, carrying me, in long relaxed strides. The jaunt was jolting and uncomfortable but I didn't dare to peek through my lashes to see where he was going. I wanted to remain in his arms forever.

It was after some time, when Ethan said in a low voice,"how long do you intend to play Sleeping Beauty, liebling?"

Renewed hope flared within me. Not kid. Liebling.

Slowly opening my eyes, I looked up to Ethan's bemused countenance, then around us to recognize the familiar neighborhood park, still some distance away from our homes. Clever. Ethan obviously chose to cut through the park to avoid Trevor. My lip formed a tiny smile of delight.

The bushes and trees had divested their leaves in the harsh wind of the last few days, their shapes bare and awaiting winter hibernation. The wind carried no sound of birdsong, nor the chatter of people enjoying an evening stroll. We were alone in this dismal landscape, but in his arms, I no longer felt lonely.

Before he could move to bring my feet back onto solid ground, I hastily brought my hands around Ethan's neck, lifting myself up. My own hazel eyes gazed deeply into his cerulean ones, startling in the fading light. He bent his face towards mine. Our lips touched tentatively at first, became immediately charged by the heat of the contact. We drew insatiable desire from each other through our connection.