Party at Amy's

"I never thought I'd say this, but lend me your new lipstick please?"

I wandered into Qin's room. Startled, she slammed the lid of her laptop close. I raised a quizzical brow (I was picking up Ethan's little nuances subconsciously. Ok, scratch that, NOT subconsciously), but decided not to pry.

"It's over there on my dresser."

I was pleased to see that she has at least opened the packaging. I started running the lipstick against my lips. I forked my fingers through my hair, letting it fan slowly from my fingers to my back, before adjusting the twisted straps on my top. All the while in front of the mirror, studying my sisters's fidgeting through the reflection. What was making her so antsy?

"You sure you don't want to go with me to Ames' party?" I asked her reflection.

"No, thanks.  Hanging out with a younger crowd is not my kind of fun," Qin said, raising the opened book she had next to her. "This is my kind of fun".

I bit my tongue. There were some peoiple in town who didn't share her sentiment, I mean those who graduated alrady but still hung around town after their diploma. At least Qin was invited to the party, unlike some people. Oh well, baby steps. I winced a little at the word "baby". I had accompanied Qin to visit the baby's grave once or twicesince that day. Sad as it was, I certainly did not want my sister to not be able to move on. Imagine, 40 years old and still living with our parents? That would be way too sad... No I'd really better do something about it. Maybe I ought to ask Ethan about that William, since he knew his wife? But that would require betraying my sister's confidence.. I pursed my lips thoughtfully.

"How was the ACT this morning?" Qin switched topics with practiced ease.

"Surprisingly easy. I guess with Ethan and you drumming concepts into me all through November and December worked a miracle."

"You're not dumb, just couldn't be bothered, that's all. Remember if you don't do well, you can't get into Cornell and you and Ethan will become a long distance relationship even before he returns to Germany."

"Yes Madam, please quit nagging. Mom and Dad are bad enough without you having to join in. I need to enjoy what remains of my pitiful holidays before school and cheer start again."

Qin diminished my impassioned plea with her next question.

"Anyway why are you leaving only now? Weren't you going to go earlier to help Amy set up?" she asked, leaning back to read her book. I flounced onto the bed beside her, putting on my earrings.

"Nah. She got some of the other girls to help her set up. Anyway she's been acting weird recently. It's like I don't know her anymore."

"What happened between you two? I've noticed that she isn't here as often as she used to be. And you have stopped your "Ames said this", "Ames said that". What happened? Boyfriends?"

"Trevor McGill." I picked at an invisible thread on my top.

"And who is that now?"

"Some geek that she is having a major crush on, and who has a crush on me." I pouted.

"Doesn't Amy have a boyfriend already? That pumped up gorilla?"

"Excuse me, that so-called pumped up gorilla just happens to be the most popular guy in school. So many girls would have died just to be his girlfriend. I don't understand Ames' fascination with creepy Trevor. There simply isn't any accounting for tastes."

"Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins," quoted Qin. I groaned. Once a goody two shoes, always a goody two shoes. I resisted saying. "She obviously saw something in him that you didn't. Nonetheless as her best friend, you should render her the same amount of unstinting support she did you in your relationship with Ethan, even if you can't stand that guy."