It's Complicated.

***************

公公: maternal grandfather

***************

"How do I look?" I asked earnestly, tugging an errant strand of hair behind my ear, as Ethan and I walked towards the town center where we'd be double dating the two Ts (Tash and Tom) over dinner.

Ethan had wanted to blow them off, ostensibly because this week was total madness for me, what with cheer, tests and preparations for the captainship crammed into five short days before we departed for Nationals. However I strongly suspected another reason was that he wanted to avoid these two ghosts from his past as much as possible, especially since they were returning from Germany with even more news about the other ghosts from his past. Like his ex and her engagement to his former best friend, a topic which we had somehow subconsciously been avoiding since that night we met them.

I was definitely going to be there for my boyfriend (OK I'd admit it, I was dying from curiosity), in the high chance that either T  bring this up during dinner. At the very least, I ought to be there to beat off the overly friendly Tash. Luckily I had some help in my corner so that I could squeeze some time out for a short afternoon at H&M, and here I was, holding hands with Ethan as we crossed the road to reach the restaurant.

Of course when I said help, I didn't mean Amy. We hadn't spoken since practice last Saturday, which was clocking as the longest silent war we ever had.  Despite our  harsh words, we hadn't hardened our  hearts entirely. She was still following me on Twitter and Instagram and remained my Facebook friend. I still checked her tweets, pics and Facebook wall, except she hadn't posted anything recently, which was very abnormal given her personality. I was worried for her.

No, help came in the unexpected form of Mother, Ethan, Qin and Emily. Mother, overcome with a long-overdue cheer fever, has been enthusiastically helping me with my packing and preparations for the trip AND cheer banquet planning. Of course it helped that I did way better than expected at the ACT. To ensure that I maintain this momentum, Ethan and Qin supervised my schoolwork between them,  while Emily reviewed my cheer routines for the captainship tryouts and offered constructive advice.

I hoped Ethan would appreciate the effort I put into my appearance for the dinner. I did not want to appear childish or boring next to the gorgeous Tash and her magnificent bust. So during that short time frame at H&M, I frantically tried on many ensembles, trying to find something chic with a European flair.

My new scarf complemented the grey turtleneck Ethan was wearing. His grasping my smaller hand in his exuded such a fuzzy warmth that it felt as if we were melting all the dirty ice bits left behind from the long months of winter.

"Schön, liebling. You sure you are up for the dinner?  You look exhausted. We can always postpone it till you return from your trip. I don't think you are sleeping enough. "

"It's OK, I can catch up on my sleep afterwards. Anyway it will be over soon once I become the next cheer captain."

"I get that cheer is important to you. But why push yourself to become captain as well?  It won't be over once you get the job. It will just be more responsibilities."

"Yeah, but just imagine how happy my mom would be!" I couldn't resist saying.

"Is it less about becoming captain than it is about making your mother happy?" Ethan said drily, assessing me with his shrewd wise eyes.

I looked away, studying a dress in a nearby window display, avoiding his gaze.

"Both, I guess. All I know is that, for once, I get to experience how it feels to be the center of my mother's attention.  I get to be Qin."