Kaffee und Kuchen

I lightly tapped my French tips against the smooth chestnut wood, while completing the English test in the ACT prep book. I was vaguely conscious that the guys at the next table were checking me out, but I wasn't bothered (you can't be in Cheer, without being used to the attention, especially from the opposite sex). So I just did a casual toss of my long raven hair over my shoulder and continued writing. Alright, I'd admit, I was vain about my hair, but rightly so, after all the effort I put into making sure it remained smooth and shiny.

I had arranged to meet Amy and Chelsea at Stella's after their ballet class, so that we could discuss the progress on "Date your favorite cheerleader". I was worried that since we started the online auction only after our hiatus, and with such a short time span, it would not draw enough awareness and bids.

Oh well. It was a last ditch attempt to improve our lead on the Seniors' charity efforts last year. I'd do better in managing activities and timeline next year when I become Captain in Spring *fingers crossed*.

"Hi!" Amy came in breezy and flushed from the cold outside. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see all the guys' attention immediately swing to her as she unveiled her gorgeous figure from the H&M faux fur jacket she had on. The leotard she was still wearing struggled to constrain her dangerous curves while her legs were covered by acid wash skinny jeans and the oversized Uggs she loved to wear.

I smiled. Amy always knew how to make an appearance.

"Hello. Where's Chelsea?" I asked as Amy plopped herself on the chair opposite me.

"She's coming in soon. We ended late, but she insisted on changing out of her leotard. So how? Did you have your first date yet?"

I shook my head.

"I tried to ask him out for lunch, then to the Friends of the Library book sale, even the Thanksgiving dinner with my folks, but he keeps saying no.  He keeps claiming that he needs to study, even though it is his recess week. He has no problems studying with me at home, going jogging or buying groceries by himself. It's almost as if he is ashamed to be seen with me in public."

 "That's a load of crap, Mai. Have you looked in a mirror recently? You're nuts if you think that. He's probably trying to make it on the Dean's list or something," said Amy, my ever loyal best friend.

"I don't know. I just cannot help but think that he's not into me other than you know what."

"That's a horrible thought to have. Stop second guessing your relationship."

I sighed. "I'll try. By the way, how are your party coming along? Need any help?"

"Nah. Sam and the guys are bringing the beer, and I already got the eats already. It's just a small party." I raised a brow. Amy's parties were pretty legendary in our exclusive high school community. Her "small" equaled to at least half of the upper classman population. "Remember to come before six, ok?"

"Should be no problem. The ACT will be over by then."

"Maybe you should try to bring Ethan? I think the girls will die if they see him there."

I gave her a WTF eye roll. Seriously? I just told her that I couldn't even get him out in the open with me, let alone to a house party hosted for mostly high schoolers. Before the girls died, I'd die first, if I succeeded.

"Come on, be positive.  You may never know.... here's Chelsea."

Chelsea with her dainty stature, was definitely able to slip her way in through between the door and an outgoing customer, but she stood aside to wait for him to exit before coming in. It was the type of person she was, courteous, sweet yet shy. For a while, I had been worried that the captainship would go to her, but thankfully the coaches thought that she was too quiet to assume leadership. I gazed at her outfit with approving eyes. She was wearing the cutest skirt with kitty cats printed all over it and a sweater that was several sizes too big for her. She wound a scarf over the ensemble that bore the same color as her cat-like green eyes. Hmm, I made a mental note to borrow the skirt from her when I could.