ARTIFICIAL.

∘∘∘∘

THE DOZEN.
iv. ARTIFICIAL

 ARTIFICIAL

∘∘∘∘

"OKAY, THIS WILL have to do."
"What are you doing?"
"Let's start-"
"What are you-"

Subject Seven held a finger up at the girl sitting beside him. Her eyebrows rose and she leaned to the side in the slightest way, watching as he held the crushed water bottle in his hand. "Starting with the basics," he said, holding it to his mouth as if it was a microphone. "Name?" he asked, and then extended the bottle towards her as she tried to hold back her smile. "Real name," he quickly added.

Her deep sienna eyes flickered down to the makeshift microphone and she reluctantly sighed, "Clara."

"Clara," he mumbled under his breath as if tasting the name on his lips, measuring if it sounded good coming out of his mouth. This brought a slight smile to her chapped lips as he continued, "Age?"

She glanced up at the ceiling of the bus, trying to piece together the number of months she presumed had passed and if her birthday fell on one of those months. She had no way of even knowing for sure, and it was only an educated guess when she answered, "Probably 18."

It was slightly saddening to Seven that she didn't even know her exact age, but he pushed the thought out of mind. Honestly, he wasn't sure of his own age either. He pulled the water bottle back towards his own mouth as he asked, "Occupation?" and then held it back out towards her.

Was it even important? It wasn't like it even mattered now, but Clara answered anyway, "I was a student."

There was a light tap on Seven's shoulder, and he turned back to see a girl smiling politely at him. She looked down at his leg, which he hadn't even noticed was blocking the entire aisle of the bus. "Oh, sorry," he mumbled, his English accent breaking through, as he pulled back his leg.

She only smiled at him and then continued her way down the shaky aisle of the bus. She stopped right beside the driver's seat, in which the man with the bold four on his arm sat. "Um," Subject Twelve spoke up tentatively with a clear of her throat, "can we stop?"

"Nope."

He didn't even look at her, and that was the worst part. He had this way of completely disregarding her presence, and it had a way of angering her to the point of blatant passive-aggressiveness. She tried to force a believable smile, though it only came off as strained and obviously fake, as she took a few steps closer to obstruct his peripheral vision.