STAY SAFE.

∘∘∘

THE DOZEN.
xxiv. STAY SAFE

 STAY SAFE

∘∘∘

     THE INCESSANT SOUND of forks scratching against china filled the tense dining room, just enough to muffle the sounds of distant rambling. Always on her phone. It was impossible to just sit down and have dinner; always a business call, "Oh, my mom must want something", or checking in on the grandfather that's in hospice care. Kellin knew these were important things, but wasn't dinner important too?

"How was school?"

"I got yelled at," six-year-old Isaac sighed, lips pouting as he aimlessly played with the food on his plate.

Lola, Isaac's twin sister, brought her head up quickly, rushing to speak with a mouth full of food, "He was drawing on the desk!"

"The teacher wouldn't give me any paper!"

"Okay," Kellin nodded with a small smile, reaching a hand out to rest on Isaac's arm. "The teacher didn't give you any paper, so you drew on the desk?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, what about the paper in your bag?"

"We have to keep our bags in our cubbies," Lola answered, shoving another spoonful into her mouth as she intently eavesdropped their conversation. 

"Lola, chew, honey," Kellin was quick to tell her, before looking back to Isaac. "You know you can't draw on the desk, bub. After all the kids and teachers leave, people have to go to every classroom and wipe all that stuff off."

"I know," he huffed. "The teacher made me-"

"Okay, sorry,"  Ashley breathed as she strolled back into the dining room. "Grandpa is doing good. Maybe we'll go see him this weekend." As soon as she sat back down at the table, she took one bite of the food Kellin prepared and immediately pulled her phone back out, thumbs tapping at the speed of light. 

"Did you help the kids with their homework?" Kellin spoke up, hoping to draw his wife's attention away from her cell phone. 

"No, not yet," she slowly answered, trying to have a conversation with both Kellin and whoever she was texting. "I figured, y'know, since it's Friday, we can just do it Sunday."

"I thought we should just get it out of the way today, so that they won't have to worry about it at the end of the weekend," he calmly replied. "I'll just do it later." Ashley only hummed a sound of approval and spared him a slight nod. For a moment, he merely glared at her - this was an everyday occurrence. He was sick of it. As badly as he wanted to just rip the phone out of her hands and throw it into the sink, he restrained himself and politely asked, "Could you put your phone up? For just a minute? I just want us to enjoy dinner."