NOT FRIENDS.

∘∘∘

THE DOZEN.
xiv. NOT FRIENDS

 NOT FRIENDS

∘∘∘

     "WOAH, WHAT IS this place?"

Her gaping eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas morning. She didn't even know specifically what to focus on because everything that surrounded her was so astonishing and fascinating. Her voice dripped of awe with each eager syllable.

And all she got in return was Jasper's dull reply of, "A parking garage."

But she didn't let his familiarity bind her own fascination. She didn't have a chance to stop and gape at cars before they arrived in DC, and now being surrounded by dozens of them? Cars weren't the most interesting thing in the world, but it was the closest she'd been to heaven on Earth since the initial release.

Instead of grass beneath her feet, it was stained cement. Instead of a grey sky overhead, dead lights hung overhead. Instead of a sleepy city in the distance, all she could see were cars, cars, and more cars. Being in their presence was far more intense than simply seeing pictures in a textbook. She had no words to describe it, just an agape mouth and a fixed gaze.

Alexa was busy admiring everything from full rims to patches of rust, while Jasper had already paced across the garage. Long sighs droned from his mouth with every car he passed, every window he peered into; until, finally, he found exactly what he was looking for.

A dead one lowly growled within a silver car with a name he couldn't be bothered to read. He gave a quick glance back to Alexa, who was too consumed in some other car and its worn features, before taking another step towards the driver's side of the car. His knuckles rapped against the window, earning a violent snarl from the dead one trapped inside.

He took a moment to examine what he could from where he stood. The seatbelt bound the infected to its seat, so his first action would have to be unbuckling it. And then he'd have to find a way to get into its pockets without dying in the process, all in hopes of finding a set of car keys.

All attempts to piece together a thorough plan failed, for locating a single thought and expanding upon that thought seemed impossible. They were all racing too fast for him to catch hold of a single one. While trying to figure out how to obtain access to a car, he was also thinking of Parker and Subject One and his family and how hungry he was and...

He sighed. Improvisation was his only plan.

He whistled loud enough for Alexa to hear, beckoning her with a small gesture once she devoted her attention to him. Even the way she walked towards him was bubbly, each step boasting about how elated she was to be here, earning an unamused raise of Jasper's eyebrows. "What's up?" she asked, a small smile playing on her lips.