EROSION.

∘∘∘∘

THE DOZEN.
v. EROSION

 EROSION

∘∘∘∘

"WHERE'D SHE COME from?"

"They brought her from Melbourne," a voice answered. If Adelaide had really wanted to, she could've glanced over and seen the two men talking, but all she wanted at that moment was to just go home. She didn't know anything about where she was, who she was with - all she knew is that she wanted to be anywhere but in the small room. "This is her stuff."

Boots clicking against hard cement, a man entered the room and stood before Adelaide as she lied on the small bed. He looked to be older, somewhere around 40 or 50, and wore a tight smile that almost frightened Adelaide. "Let's see," he breathed out as he pulled out her own wallet and began to rifle through its contents. "Adelaide Bishop," he read, holding her I.D. between his fingers. "What, your parents name you after a city?"

Even closing her eyes couldn't shut out his rough, chilling voice as he continued with his vexing statements and snarky comments. She remembered the stories of innocent girls finding themselves out on the street, selling themselves just to make a quick dollar, but it always sounded like something Adelaide would never have to worry about. Until it was all that she was worrying about.

Adelaide had never not felt before. Thinking back to the most traumatizing years of her life brought no effect, no wave of anger and depression like it used to. Part of her was thankful for what the doctors did to erase that traumatized part of her, but part of her felt cheated. Cheated out of a human experience - something that would hurt like hell, but consists of that pain that would remind her she was alive.

In other words, she felt more like a puppet that yearned to be a real girl, rather than an actual woman. And with no one there to manipulate her strings, she was helpless and at a loss of what to do. Independence was entirely unfamiliar.

And so she did the first thing her mind told her to, and that was finding out why the young woman called Ellie was vomiting and try to help in any way.

It was help she knew she would have appreciated when she was in need.

∘∘∘∘

"Oh, fuck- oh, fucking fuck- fuck-" The floorboards screeched beneath their boots as they entered the expansive office of the upper floor, with Jasper barking, "Close the door!"

Wide-eyed, Parker kept his eyes glued to a panting Jasper before scrambling to the wooden door and slamming it close, the doorway quaking at the harsh movement. A hand laid flat on the door, Parker breathed out, "What do we do? Jas, what do we-"