THE WEIGHT.

∘∘∘

THE DOZEN.
xix. THE WEIGHT

 THE WEIGHT

∘∘∘

HE DIDN'T LIKE the quiet until now. He used to find silence uncomfortable, almost scary; now, it just gave him the space he needed to think, to recollect himself, to settle in with the thoughts that only just recently made a home within his head.

A contrasting ideal applied to the dark. This room wasn't pitch-black, by any means. Parker could still see the blood staining his hands. The room simply tried to be dark, with an orangish light peeping through the dark curtains covering up the two windows and illuminating the bland room just slightly. He would've preferred the room just be completely lightless, a shadow amongst itself, rather than slivers of light glinting off his red hands.

The silence meant to provide him comfort; the presence of light yanked such a thing from his grip before he could familiarise himself with it.

The light gained strength with the screech of door hinges. Parker made no effort to stand and see who entered the room; he sat with his back to a table leg, hands laying in his lap, eyes fixated on the barely visible pale wall in front of him. Instead, he waited for the person to come to him, shoes slowly swishing through the carpet beneath him.

A man appeared to Parker's right, a ring of key's in hand. His determined stare dropped to Parker's hands, where he expected to see one handcuff wrapped around the table leg and another wrapped around the younger's right hand. Instead, he saw both of Parker's hands resting in his lap, with one cuff limply hanging to the carpet.

Parker felt the man's wary glare burn into his skin. "I lifted up on the table and the cuff slid off," he explained monotonously, only sparing the man a slight glance, focusing more on his keys than the man himself. "You should get a better system. If I wasn't human, I could've already killed you."

With his flat eyes leisurely fixated on the wall ahead, Parker raised his right hand into the air. The man took a quick step back and instinctively rested his hand upon his holstered pistol, quickly demanding, "Don't try anything."

"I just want you to uncuff me, please."

The man's eyes refused to soften as he took a small step forward. His calloused hand took an unintentionally tight hold of Parker's skinny wrist, his other hand expertly unlocking the handcuff with a key tinier than Parker could see. Once the younger of the two heard the click, he let his hand drop back onto his lap, wringing his fingers with unnoticed anxiety.

"Before this goes any further," the man smoothly crouched down, level with the eyes that refused to look in his direction, "we're gonna have to check you for bites. Our nurse is going to ask you some questions; if all goes well, then you'll speak with Maxson. Okay?"