LONELY DEATH.

∘∘∘

THE DOZEN.
xxi. LONELY DEATH

 LONELY DEATH

∘∘∘

"SHE'S SICK. I don't think there's anything we can do for her."

Alexa, trying her hardest to ignore the ongoing conversation taking place in the kitchen, lifted the damp towelette to Alicia's perspiring forehead. The teen's doe eyes flickered to the dark vermillion stain beneath the older woman's shoulder, the result of a merciless wound slowly killing the latter; however, Alexa refused to believe such a thing. How could they be so sure a bite kills? Who'd swear by a dead man's word?

From the kitchen, Kellin glanced into the living room, watching as Alexa obliviously settled further into the couch, squeezing in beside Alicia's lethargic figure. His attention diverted back to Jasper, who's solemnity spoke for itself, booming over his pessimistic words. "Even if she doesn't make it," Kellin started breathily, "we can make sure she's comfortable. Nobody wants to die scared and alone."

In a movement quicker than Kellin could notice, Jasper just barely glimpsed in Alexa's direction, and then shuffled closer to the older man. "I know what you mean," he said, speaking quieter than before, "I just think it's a dumb thing to do."

"He's right," Scarlett mumbled from across the kitchen, leaning against the sink with her eyes glued to the stained floor tiles. "She'll turn."

"And if she does, we'll take care of it," Kellin immediately countered. "We-"

"She could kill someone," Jasper emphatically stated, slowly, to ensure that Kellin comprehended just how grave the situation was. Kellin wanted to speak up in protest; he wanted to call out the "leader" of a defused group for being such a hypocrite. With those scratches lining his jaw, how was he any different than Alicia? How could he sentence her to a lonely death when he'd soon be in the same situation? However, he kept his mouth shut and merely allowed Jasper to continue. "Is it worth it?"

Before Kellin could form a sufficient response from what remained of his messy thoughts, Scarlett spoke up, "Regardless, I think we can all agree that she's dangerous. Whether she stays here or not, that's just how it is." Both Scarlett and Jasper looked directly to Kellin as if waiting for his response. A counter-argument was expected; however, a look of defeat desolately washed over his face as a sigh escaped him. It seemed as if he couldn't find a reason to bother refuting their argument any longer, so Scarlett, content with the outcome of their debate, sauntered from the kitchen and into the small living area.

She wondered how Alexa could stand the sight of Alicia. Lips chapped, scabbed, and cracking; bloodied sclera; dried blood on the rim of her nostrils. And she just kept wheezing... Scarlett had only been there for less than a minute and Alicia was already making her shudder uncomfortably. However, Alexa looked at the older, sickly woman as if she was looking at an old friend or a reoccurring acquaintance. And that meant the world to Scarlett, to see such an angel treat a devilish creature in the making with the highest amount of care.