Chapter 16

Alexandra stared at herself in the mirror, her fingers touching her slightly sore, red lips. She could still feel that lovely sensation that resulted from Jayden's kiss. She groaned. A feeling of sadness built up within her heart.

"Alex?" She heard his voice from the other side of the door, which was then followed by a couple of soft knocks. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that to you."

Sorry? She didn't want him to feel sorry for what he did.

"Alex, you hear me?"

Alex sighed and reluctantly replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't be sorry, Jay. I know it's not real anyway."

"Alex, look—"

She cut him off by turning on the shower so she couldn't hear his explanations or excuses or whatever it was he was trying to say. She tiptoed to the door and listened to see if he was still there. When she heard nothing, she relaxed and rested her head against the door. Oddly enough, her heart hurt in a strange, painful way. What could it be? A sign of disappointment? Oh dear. Didn't she warn herself about that when she first met him? Didn't she tell herself it would be easy to fall in love with Jayden McCartney?

She sighed and went about showering. Once she finished, she wrapped a thin towel about her slim body and emerged back into the bedroom. She came to a halt when she saw Jayden watching her. He was out on the veranda, leaning against the rail, his powerful arms crossed about his muscular chest. His eyes were so intense. She felt as though he could actually see deep into her soul.

She cursed herself for putting on her contacts after the shower because if she hadn't put the contacts on, then she wouldn't be able to see him properly and then his stare wouldn't have affected her so much.

She avoided his eyes and rushed into the walk-in wardrobe. As she went about finding her things, one hand tightening on the towel about her chest, she cursed herself for not taking in her clothing before rushing into the bathroom. She'd have to do that next time so she wouldn't have to suffer the humiliation of Jay watching her as she went about finding her things with barely anything on. Of course, she reminded herself, she had been a bit absent-minded this morning after that incredible kiss she unexpectedly received from him.

She gathered her black skinny jeans, light sweater, and underwear, which she hid well under the others so Jay wouldn't be able to see. Arms overfilled with her clothing, she rushed back into the bedroom. She was in such a hurry, and because she wasn't fully in control of herself, she stepped on the material of the jeans, tripped on herself, and fell flat on her face.

She groaned in humiliation and silently cursed herself for being so stupid and clumsy. She gathered herself up and sat on her bottom, her clothing scattering around her, her towel barely covering her nakedness.

"Are you all right?" Jay's voice echoed close to her ear. He was fast. One second he was out on the veranda, and the next he was beside her. Suddenly, she could feel his warm hands wrapping about her bare arms. She could feel his strength beside her, so close to her like a brick wall. She couldn't answer him because his touch was sending glorious sensations through her being. Her brain was basically dead.

"Alex?" His voice came louder.

She turned to look at him then.

"You're not feeling yourself today, are you?" he asked, one hand cupping her cheek, his eyes looking deep into hers.

Alex shook her head.

"Still tired?"

Alex bit her lower lip. No, damn it! She was not tired. She was confused. And she didn't want him to be so nice to her. She wanted him to treat her normally, like a stranger, so she wouldn't get so involved.