Chapter 24

Alex slid into the passenger seat, clicked on her seat belt, and put on her sunglasses. Jayden couldn't help but admire the way she handled herself—with such elegance and innocence. She looked as though she belonged there, as a part of his world, but at the same time, she looked vulnerable and lost. She was very contradictory in his mind, but desirable.

"Back home, then, I suppose," she said absentmindedly.

Back home? Jayden was surprised at her choice of words. Did that mean his home was now her home?

"What?" she asked when she saw him looking at her oddly.

"Nothing," he replied, starting the engine. He steered the car around and into the thick traffic.

Alex relaxed, thoroughly enjoying the sun. A moment later, she asked, "So what was it?"

"Hmm?" Jay glanced at his blind spot and switched lanes.

"What did you get? Your errand."

"Oh. In the bag," he said, nodding to the back seat. "Have a look."

"Sure. Don't mind me." She leaned over and reached for the blue bag. She placed it on her lap and took out two small velvet boxes that had the initial Tiffany & Co. "Ooh," she made a sound as she opened one. The gold wedding band shone against the glistening sunlight.

"Whoa," she gasped. "It's Kelly's wedding ring?"

Jayden nodded.

"Nice." She turned the box about so she could inspect it from all sides without having to take the ring out. She didn't want to dirty it.

Jayden laughed. "Do you want one?"

Alex glanced at him. "Who doesn't? That is, when I find the right man, of course."

Jayden was curious. The right man, huh? He wondered what type of man was her "right man." He had no doubt she probably had a list of criteria.

"Just curious, what's your ideal man? That perfect man you're looking for?" he asked casually.

Alex shut the box and placed it back into the bag. "I suppose every girl has her ideal man. Mine is tall but not too tall. Your height is good."

Jayden grinned at her comment.

"He has to be kind. Don't care who he is or where he's from. I mean nationality-wise. Not sure about his career, though. But I'd love to have a doctor as a husband," she said, nudging her sunglasses up the bridge of her nose.

"Why?" he asked, a hint of disapproval in his voice. "A doctor?"

"Because I'm a scientist. They kind of go together, don't you think?"

"No. Does it matter that he has to be a doctor?" He glanced at her.

Alex pouted her lips. "No, I suppose not." She shrugged.

"Besides, aren't doctors supposed to be so busy that they won't have time for you?"

"I think that depends," she commented, starting to feel quite uncomfortable chatting about her "ideal" man. If he asked her enough questions, he'd know who her ideal man was, the man she wanted in her life, which was him. That was why she told him a doctor instead of a businessman.

"Let's talk about something else," she suggested.

"What do you want to eat?"

"Huh?" She glanced at him.

"What type of food do you want to eat?"

"Are we going out to eat?"

"Yes."