Chapter 23

Alexandra slipped back into the bedroom. She leaned against the closed door and sighed. She saw the BlackBerry Jayden gave her on the bedside table, grabbed it, and started dialing her home numbers. After a few rings, it was picked up by her mom.

"Hello? Mali speaking."

"Hey, Mum." Alex tightened the phone in her hand near her ear. The sound of her mother's voice caused a knot in the pit of her stomach. Gosh, she missed her family.

"Sweetheart, how's things? The conference is not tiring you out? I know how much you don't like traveling and especially going to another country."

"I'm good, Mum. How's Dad and everyone else?"

"Everyone here is good. Sweetheart, we miss you so much, and it has only been four days."

"I know. I miss you all too."

In the distance, Alex could hear Emma's voice shouting, "Mum? Is that Alex? Hey, Alex, have you been shopping for my presents yet? Remember, I want gifts. And have you been sightseeing at all yet?"

Alex shook her head. She wanted to laugh. Emma would always be Emma.

Sightseeing? She had been wanting to go sightseeing since the day she arrived, but so far that handsome fake boyfriend of hers had yet to take her as far out as the street in front of the house.

"Don't mind her," Alex heard her mum say. "You know how your sister is."

Alex laughed. "Yeah. Mum? I love you. I have to go now."

"Oh. Of course, sweetheart. We'll talk later. And see you again soon."

"Yeah, bye now," she said and hung up.

After placing the BlackBerry back on the bedside table, she ambled to the balcony. Looking down at the immaculate garden below, she saw Sam and Kelly kissing passionately near the water feature. A moment later, they reluctantly parted and hopped into the red Ferrari. Alex felt an odd tug at her heart as the car moved away to the gate. No doubt they'd be having a wonderful time together.

Ugh! What's wrong with you, Alex? she asked herself. She wasn't usually a jealous person, but—

Heck! She was envious of Kelly for finding the right man who loved her. But she was also happy for Kelly because the woman deserved it.

Once the car disappeared from sight, she turned on her heel and went back to the bedroom. It was such a lovely day. She couldn't believe she was wasting it here in the bedroom, sulking.

She collapsed on the bed and groaned. Here she was, dressed in a sexy dress and hoping the damn man would take notice of her new look. But what did she get? Nothing. Not even an invitation to go out for a short walk. Oh yeah! No plan for the day? What the heck did you plan to do for the whole day, Jayden?

The next moment, she felt somebody sitting on the bed. She widened her eyes. Then she felt the warmth of a body near her and a hand touching her hair. Then a voice said near her ear, "Still tired, huh?"

Alex turned. Her face nearly collided with Jayden's. She saw him grinning at her.

"I'm not that tired. Just nothing to do so—"

"Well, then would you like to come on an errand with me?"

"Errand?"

"I have something I have to get. How about it, partner? We have a mission. It's important."

Alex smiled, her eyes twinkling with excitement. "Um. Yeah. Sure. Why not?"

"Good," he said. "Come along, then." He pulled her up by the hands and led her to the door.