Chapter 25

"Where are we?" Alexandra asked, looking around her curiously. Jayden had been driving her around the city and showing her the sights, which she still could not believe since he did not utter one word to her since they left the restaurant. It was such a pleasant surprise, and she was sure they both enjoyed themselves tremendously.

Jayden got out of the convertible and came over to her side. "Come on, missy," he said, pulling her out of the car.

"All right. Hold on." She chuckled, grabbing for her handbag.

Once out, he led her to the wharf. She had no idea where they were, but she loved the scenery. All she knew was she was at the harbor because there were lots of yachts around—really big, expensive-looking ones.

"Slow down, will ya?" she said, laughing. "I'm wearing heels. My feet are sore now."

Jay shook his head. "Women," he said under his breath.

"Well, excuse me for being one," she snapped as she tried to catch up with him so his hand on her wrist wouldn't hurt her as he dragged her along.

"I didn't mean it like that. Just a figure of speech."

"Yeah, right," she retorted, ignoring him. Suddenly, one of her heels got stuck in between the planks. "Hold on." She wiggled her foot, pulling him back. "I'm stuck."

"What?" Jay halted and glanced down. He laughed, loud and clear, so that his chest rumbled.

She smacked him on the arm. "Stop it. This is serious."

Once he managed to stop, he got down on his knees and helped pull the shoe out. Finally, after a good attempt, he said, "You might have to take that shoe off."

"All right," she said, bending down.

"No, don't. I'll do it." He began to help ease her foot out of the peep-toe pumps as she leaned over him for support. Once her foot was free, she stepped back so Jay could do the manly thing of freeing her shoe from the board. His force was so hard he broke the heel.

"Shit!" he swore, staring at the dismantled shoe in disbelief.

Alex laughed. She couldn't help herself as she touched him on the shoulder, staring into his face. "You've destroyed my shoes, Jay. I can't believe it. They're expensive, you know."

He grinned, his eyes twinkling. He got up, shoe in hand. "Well, then what shall I do?" he asked dramatically, his head cocked to one side.

"I don't know," Alex replied, hands on hips, her face all serious now. "You broke it. You fix it, mister!"

"Damn!" he muttered. "I'll buy you another one. That'll fix it."

"I happen to like that one, Mr. McCartney. And you can't buy me happiness."

"Really?" he prompted.

"Really," Alex echoed, now folding her arms across her chest. "So what are you going to do about it?"

Jayden looked at the broken shoe in his hands as if he were in a great dilemma. "Well, I can always do this." He threw the thing into the water nearby.

Alex gasped. "Jayden! Now how am I supposed to walk?"

"I see no other option but to—"

Alex raised her brows, wondering what he was going to do. Her curiosity was answered when he scooped her up in his arms.

"Dear me," she said under her breath, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Since you can't walk with one shoe, I'll carry you."