Chapter 21

The day had been long and filled with unexpected events. Jayden felt like a zombie as he drove home at three in the morning. At the same time, however, he felt exhilarated. With the window down and the fresh breeze on his face, he felt at peace. It was therapeutic, to say the least.

Once home, he quietly sneaked through the front door and tiptoed up the stairs to his bedroom. There, he slid in and quietly made his way to the wardrobe in the dark. He felt like a damn thief in his own bedroom, but he couldn't take the chance of waking Alex. She was probably tired after her shopping expedition with Kelly and Stephanie. Knowing them, they'd probably made Alex try on every piece of clothing they could find for her.

He shut the wardrobe door and switched on the light. Once he found his pajamas, he tiptoed to the bathroom to shower. Ten minutes later, he was back into the darkness of his bedroom. The idea of sleeping on that uncomfortable sofa yet again caused him to groan unpleasantly. Perhaps Alex wouldn't mind him sleeping beside her on the bed. After all, she couldn't very well protest when she was asleep.

Mind made up, he went to the large, luxurious bed and slid in between the sheets. He rested his head on the soft pillow and sighed with satisfaction. He spread his arms out, hoping to touch the sleeping Alex beside him. Only there was a cold, empty space. He frowned and spread his hands out farther into the forbidden side.

He bolted up and switched on the bedside lamp. The room flooded with dim, glowing light. The space on the bed beside him was empty. He glanced around the room and saw a lump of a person cocooned under a mountain of blankets on the sofa with only a mop of dark hair visible.

Good Lord! Alex had stolen his bed—twice! What did she want to prove? That she could comfortably sleep on the sofa and he couldn't?

In a flash, he was standing by the sofa, gazing down at her. She looked to be in a deep sleep, though he couldn't see much of her except for her hair. Damn it. He didn't want to disturb her, but he knew she'd be sore in the morning.

He bent down and slowly pulled the blanket away. Before he realized what was happening, he swore under his breath—stunned at the sight he beheld before him.

Alex was in deep sleep all right. She looked so peaceful and—dear God—so damn enticing he couldn't help but keep gawking at her. It was only a moment later that he realized she was not wearing her pajamas she usually wore. Tonight she wore a pink T-shirt and sexy grey short shorts that showed way too much of her slim, shapely legs.

Jay stroked his fingers through his thick hair. Was it just him and the fact that he was getting too tired, or did Alex's skin look soft and smooth? And yes, he wanted to touch her, slowly running his fingers up her legs.

Perhaps he had been standing there ogling at her for too long because she suddenly shivered delicately, drawing herself in and turning over.

He bent low and scooped her into his arms. Her hair brushed against his nose as she turned her sleeping face toward his. The wonderful smell of spring danced around him. He brought his nose closer to her hair and inhaled deeply. He sighed, loving the scent as he gazed at her face. Suddenly, he wanted to kiss those luscious lips.

Jayden! the voice at the back of his head said. You're tired and you're hallucinating. Put Alex to bed and then go to sleep.

He nodded at that sound advice and turned on his heel. At that moment, Alexandra fluttered her eyes open.

"What are you doing?" she asked, her voice soft and husky, like those hot babes in James Bond movies who were ready to seduce Bond. Only he knew too well Alex was not trying to seduce him. Her next words confirmed that.