Chapter 32

Will Miss Alexandra Stewart please make her way to gate nine for boarding? Will Miss Alexandra Stewart please make her way to gate nine for boarding? The voice on the intercom called her name, and Alex felt dread rushing up in the pit of her stomach. She ignored the call and lingered there, staring at the entrance, hoping to see Jayden hurry in to see her one last time.

Knowing she couldn't hold up the plane any longer, she moved to hug Gracie.

"I'm sorry I have to leave early," she said.

"Oh, sweetheart," Gracie said, hugging her hard. "I know you'll be back very soon."

"Yes. Yes." Beth butted in and pulled Alex into her arms. "You look after yourself, young woman."

Alex had to laugh at that. She simply couldn't believe Beth was so nice to her. Then she wondered what their reactions would be once they found out the truth, that she wasn't Jayden's real girlfriend. She also wondered when Jayden was going to tell them.

She turned to Tom and gave him a hug.

"Look after yourself," he said.

Alex stepped back. "Yes, I will." Then she waved good-bye to them.

At the entrance to the large plane, she murmured, "Sorry," to the airhostess.

"That's all right. Your seat is just to the left," the pretty young woman informed her.

Alex took her seat by the window and put on her seat belt. Suddenly, a panicky feeling erupted inside of her when she realized she was never going to see Jayden again, the man she had fallen in love with and now lost.

* * * * *

Jayden sped his BMW through the thick traffic, passing red lights and changing lanes like a Formula One racer. His hands were tight on the steering wheel, his mind on Alex.

Alex, why are you leaving me? Please, let me be on time. Please.

He changed lanes again and overtook an enormous truck. The driver popped his head out the window, beeped his horn continuously, and shouted, "Moron! Drive properly!"

Jayden ignored the driver, who was clearly unhappy, and stepped his foot on the accelerator, urging the BMW forward, zooming past cars, vans, and other trucks heading toward the airport.

He parked the vehicle in the taxi-only parking lot and rushed out to the terminal. He dodged his way past the throng of people, heading toward gate nine. He slowed down once he saw the gate number.

"Excuse me," he shouted from the distance, his voice echoing across the entire area so everyone turned to look at him curiously. "Has it departed yet?"

He came to a sliding stop at the check-in desk. He took a deep breath and puffed out, "Has it departed yet?"

"The 12:30 to Los Angeles, sir?" the woman queried calmly.

"Yes," Jay managed to puff out.

"I'm sorry, sir. It left fifteen minutes ago."

Jayden felt sick to his stomach. He swore under his breath. His head was spinning as he slowly dragged himself toward the exit.

"Hey, get your car out of here!" one of the taxi drivers shouted at him.

Jayden was too lost in his own sorrow to hear. He got in the car and drove out. When he got home an hour later, he found his family in the drawing room, waiting for him.

Kelly rushed to him and said, "We heard Alex left. What happened?"

Jayden glanced over his sister's head to his other family members. Beth looked as if she were about to cry. Sam and Stephanie were sitting on the far side of the sofa, looking as sad as ever.

"I have a confession to make," he said, his heart booming in his chest, the loud noise echoing in his ears. He took a deep breath and continued. "Alexandra is not my girlfriend. I've been lying to all of you since I came back from New Zealand. I hired Alex to pretend to be my girlfriend so, Beth, you'd stop matchmaking me."

There was shocked surprise all around. Gracie started crying, her hands clutching at her chest as though she were heartbroken. "I don't believe this," she sobbed.

"I dated Sarah, but I found her cheating on me with Kyle. We broke up, so I lied to you all."

"But what about your engagement?" Beth asked. "And the baby?"

Jayden shook his head in confusion. "What engagement? What baby?"

"Didn't you propose to Alex? Isn't Alex pregnant with your baby?" Beth asked desperately.

Jayden chuckled brokenly. "No, Beth, I didn't propose to Alex, and we are not having a baby together, either."

Beth elegantly stood and strode up to him. "What have you done? What have you done?" She hit him on the chest.

Jayden caught her frail wrist gently. "I'm sorry, Beth." He turned to his parents. "I'm sorry I lied to you. Please don't blame Alex. She only agreed to do it because she needed the money for her dad's surgery." He turned back to Beth. "I'm sorry."

"How could you, Jay? You hurt her, and now she's gone. You have to bring her back. I want Alex back, you hear?" Beth muttered incoherently.

"What?" Jayden was confused. He thought Beth was upset because he lied to them, not because Alex left.

"I can't bring her back, Beth. She's gone. She doesn't want me."

"Don't you be a fool," Beth muttered.

"You have to get her back, Jay," Gracie said. "She's like a daughter to me."

"You have to bring her back, and the baby, too," Beth murmured, patting his arm. "Be a good boy and bring Alex back, won't you?"

"I don't know."

"Jayden," Tom chimed in, "do you love her?"

Jay glanced from Gracie to Kelly and then back to his father. He nodded his head. "Yes, I do."

"Do you want to lose her?" Gracie asked.

"No, I don't," Jayden said, shaking his head. "I never want to lose her. Never!"