1. His Mate

EDITED

Chapter one:-

Christian rolled out of his bed as his alarm went off and got out of his room. The Pack house was filled with mates madly and crazily in love with each other, making his inner Wolf stir with anxiety and frustration.

As he made his way to the front door, he was greeted by the members of his Pack. It had been three years since he had become the Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack.

It was conventional practice to only become the Alpha after having mated to his Luna, but his case was different. His father was in no state to continue after his last battle against their biggest rival, Crescent Pack, which they had won might I add. The Pack was desperate for a leader and with no other go, he had to be throned the Alpha.

Sure his Pack was huge-- one of the biggest and strongest in, probably, the entire States, but an Alpha needs his Luna, to have her love and support, his Mate who'd give him pups to finally start a family of his own. And he still hadn't found his. And not having his Mate on his arm yet had made place for persistent frustration in the back of his head. 

It is a common observation that a Pack is weak without their Luna and that is why Christian is the way he is-- a callous and remorseless Alpha who'd go to any lengths to protect his Pack and keep his people safe; even if it meant turning into a savage beast to the other Packs. Most might find his strategies objectionable, but that was the only way of keeping his Pack strong sans his Luna.

But even that couldn't shut people's mouth as there were a few speculations going around in his world that without a Luna, he'd eventually grow weaker and that is why he is to be mated to his father's Beta's daughter, Veronica.

Yes, she was appealing to look at, but you see, she wasn't his Mate. It was clear to anyone at first glance that there was no love or any warm feelings between the two--just civility. But neither of them seemed to be bothered about it; Christian would get his Luna and a family to call his own and Veronica would get the power she had always aimed for.

She wouldn't be his strength like his actual Mate would have been but, as his Mom puts it, something is better than nothing.  She may not be the most emotional of people but she was calculative and a strong Wolf which was a great advantage for him in the battle ground and to lead the Pack. This further convinced Christian's father that she was the best match for his son.

After running lapses around the Pack perimeter with the other Wolves, he freshened up and when he stepped out of the shower, he was mildly surprised to see his to-be Luna sitting on his bed. 

"Good morning, Alpha," she smiled charmingly at him. 

"Veronica," he replied. 

"Since it's your big day, how about I give you what you like?" She suggestively wiggled her brows and flashed him a seductive smile. 

"I would like that very much, Veronica."

AFTER a while, Veronica quickly slipped on her clothes and was about to walk out of the door when she stopped to quickly peck his lips. "Happy birthday, Christian."

With that being said, she didn't linger and was out of the room before he could reply. That was what he liked about her. She was smart and didn't go around playing any games. She didn't pretend to be in love with him or demand anything from him and him feel guilty about basically using her. Maybe this arrangement won't be so bad after all.

*

A few miles away from his Pack house, Tiara had just gotten of the call from her boss and was beyond annoyed. She had taken a day off after going almost seven months without any leave and even then, it had to get ruined. It was her fault though--she had stupidly forgotten to turn a report in to her boss yesterday and now she had to do just that.