4. Soulmates

EDITED

Chapter four:-

That whole night, Christian couldn't sleep well at all—not even a wink. All he could think about was how his fate had turned out.

He was months away from getting Mated to his father's beta's daughter, Veronica. He still couldn't shake off how selfish she really was. But he had a feeling that she would be a great leader, in the battlefield, that is. And he didn't exactly hate her or love her. They were not even friends, just good acquaintances who satisfied each other's needs. The work he was looking for was fuck buddies, perhaps.

He doubted if she would ever be his moral and emotional support system but he had no doubt in her giving him her full support in leading the pack and bearing his children for him. And besides, she was the only another female shifter who came remotely close to a woman from honourable and respectable family in the pack.

The members of the council in the Blood Thirst Pack were hesitant to extend searching his Mate to other packs as it would not only be of potential danger to the Alpha and the pack, but maybe, God forbid, the entire WereWolf race, if any war were to break out.

His mind slowly drifted off to his own Mate. Was this really meant to be? Or was this some horrible mistake by the universe? What good can a mere human be to a wereWolf like himself—an Alpha at that!

He was stuck in a terrible situation, he concluded. One was a fragile human with no powers whatsoever and the other was a Wolf who he knew for sure was incapable of ever feeling anything towards him. But at least, the latter was a Wolf.

But a small part of him, a part that was irrational and thought from his heart hopelessly believed that everything happened for a reason and perhaps there was a reason why he would get paired up with a human. And to his annoyance, his Wolf eagerly agreed with that part. Slowly but surely these thoughts overpowered his mind.

Making a mental list of pros and cons, he turned and tossed on his bed. Veronica was the coldest person he could have met. It wouldn't be the first time someone called her a bitch, no. She had, in fact, been called far worse names. But that didn't mean Tiara could have been any better, yet Taylor had assured him time and again that she was a good person, and Alec too seemed to believe that he would be better off with Tiara rather than Veronica. And after tonight, he couldn't help himself from being drawn to her. She might not be a Wolf but her personality was just too appealing for him to resist.

Much to his irritation, a grin formed on his lips remembering how sweet and friendly she had been to them tonight. Sure it wasn't all directed at him, and a small part of him wasn't quite happy knowing that she was more comfortable with another man than she was with him, but he couldn't deny how refreshing her smile was. It was so different from her cool, professional behaviour—not like that was any less refreshing either—but if he didn't know any better, he'd say she had a twin. That was all the more reason a part of him was curious to get to know her better. She just seemed like a puzzling, yet irresistible mystery to him.

As he thought further into the matter, he started doubting his dismissive conclusion that it was all just a trivial fault by the massive universe. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't, but the sparks of endless streams of electricity that flowed through his body by just the slightest and the most innocent of touches couldn't be ignored by him. And he suspected that it didn't go unnoticed by his Mate either; the way her eyes widened and her body jerked told him enough. At least she wasn't completely immune to him and his charms, he mused dryly. His manly anatomy jerked awake at the thought of how much more...intense it would be if he was inside her as his canines elongated and slowly sunk into the warm skin on her neck.