36. His Luna

EDITED

Chapter sixty-three:

Christian felt his knees buckle underneath him—the weight of his Mate's sacrifice too heavy for him to carry as his knees gave away and he fell to the ground, clutching his blood-soaked Tiara in his arms. It seemed to him like the entire place had gone quiet and all that remained were his frantic cries.

Still not giving up, he tried shaking her awake but when her eyes wouldn't open, a heart wrenching scream erupted from his throat. In that moment, he didn't care that he was in the middle of the battlefield with all his defences down. All he cared about was the woman in his arms.

Zoimanika could see how similar this whole scene was to the vision that Ricatos had shown the both of them about Alpha Alexander Thompson. Both of them were arrogant Wolves who had Mates who loved them way too much. Both the Lunas had chosen to put their own lives at stake to save their Alphas and Packs. But she'd be damned if she let the past repeat itself.

She could now see it all clearly—the Moon goddess had given them signs all along. There was a reason why Christian had come to her cottage that day out of the blue. There was a reason why she had read about that self-fulfilling prophecy and remembered it. There was a reason for every damned thing that had happened in the span of a year. And if now she didn't act upon it, she would fail herself as a Witch.

Within the blink of an eye, she found herself standing beside a grieving Christian. She crouched down to get a hold of Tiara when Christian's eyes snapped up to hers. If she wasn't a Witch, she would be running to the hills looking at the thunderous glare he shot her way when she tried to touch his Mate. Quickly changing her mind, she placed her hand on Christian's shoulders and within the next second, they all were in the middle of where she wanted them to be.

"Someone get in here!" She hollered. "Doctor!"

Doctor Meyers, having felt their presence and heard the Witch, came rushing in to see what had happened. He was expecting a lot of tending that would need to be done at the end of the day or maybe even later, but not now.

When he saw who his patient was, he stopped in his tracks. "Luna?" He asked shocked. She was the last person he was expecting to get hurt. After all, she being a human and his Alpha's Mate wouldn't have been allowed to even step outside.

Pulling himself out of the trance, he started going about his usual routine. "Nurse!"

"Alpha, bring Luna into the operation theatre," he started throwing around orders once he had himself collected. "What has happened?"

Christian subconsciously found himself doing as the doctor asked him to. His nudity was the least of anybody's concerns.

"She was shot," Zoimanika answered to the doctor's question.

The doctor cursed lightly. He had no idea how to operate on humans. The physiology was somehow similar but the dosage of medicines to be given and the pressure to be applied had to be varied. He had to keep in mind that her body was more delicate than that of the Weres. This had to be the most challenging operations he had done in all his thirty years of experience. And it didn't just have to do with the fact that she was the Pack's Luna. He didn't even want to risk thinking about what would happen if he wouldn't be able to save her.

But soon, he found his worries dissolving as the nurses and other surgeons came rushing into the operation theatre. Before the door closed, the last thing they all heard was Christian's low voice growling. "Save her."

Christian stood unmoving in front of the operation theatre for a few minutes. Now that his Mate wasn't in his arms anymore, his Wolf came to the surface. Ever since he, in the mind of his Wolf, had lost control on his Mate the other day, his Wolf didn't dare come up again in the fear of hurting her. But now that she was away, his Wolf was dying to take control. His eyes, that were a soulless black now, in his anger had specks of red in them.