TMI - Chapter 20

The weather was crisp but unseasonably mild for early spring. Bailey drew up her hood and headed toward home, trying to avoid looking at Meg’s house, across the street. Looking at Gran and Gramp’s house always made her feel warm inside. It was a cute two-story house that looked like it belonged in a Mother Goose story. Gingerbread trim adorned the porch, flower boxes currently empty would be overflowing with cheery blooms in a few months. Meg always says she should bring an easel with her, set it up right there, beside the path to the porch steps. She would paint it in water colors.

Bailey eyebrows drew together. This whole thing with Meg was snowballing and —

“Meg?”

There she was, sitting at the foot of the porch steps, staring at her with a furrowed brow. "Hey."

"What are you doing here?"

"Um. Well. I came to apologize."

Bailey shook her head when every last ounce of anger evaporated. "I'm the one who should apologize. I didn't mean what I said today."

Meg waved a hand. "Bay, listen. For what it’s worth, I liked Ryder. I even emailed him again today. I think you're right. He really likes you."

The frown disappeared and her smile exploded. "What did he say? Tell me everything!" She ran up the steps and curled beside Meg on the top one.

"He… well, he said I should back off. That we're tearing you apart." Her voice cracked and she had to stop before she embarrassed herself.

"I want you guys to be friends." Bailey said after a moment. "But it's hard since we can't hang out."

"See, that's the part I don't get. Why can't you hang out?"

Bailey stared down the street, her face long. "Ryder's whole life is a mess. Remember when I told you he just moved here?"

Meg nodded.

"He's living with an aunt he hasn't seen since he was little. His mom is dead."

"Oh, Bay!" Meg gasped. "What about his dad?"

She shook her head. "His dad's out of the picture. His mother was killed —"

"Killed? Like… murdered?"

Bailey nodded. "Yeah. Ryder was the one who found her body. Because he's under age, they won't let him stay in Missouri so he had to come here. He's living with relatives but they’re strangers. He was home-schooled but his aunt wants him to go to real school – they argue all the time. He says he feels trapped. He has no car. No job. No friends. The only cool thing there is to do is play Xbox."

Meg stared at her feet. "You… um… already know a lot about him."

A bright smile spread over her face and she hugged her legs to her chest. "Oh, Meg, I do! I feel like I know him almost as much as I know you."

Bailey stood while Meg’s eyes roamed up and down her face, searching for proof that she was lying. Finally, she nodded once. "I’ll back off, Bay. But, please. Could you do me two favors?”

With her eyes narrowed, Bailey nodded slowly, hoping these favors were easy.

“Don’t meet him alone. When he’s able to handle all the stuff in his life and make a date with you — don’t go alone. Call me — call Chase — call us both — just don’t go alone, okay?”

Bailey’s lips tightened. Ryder wasn’t — aw, hell. Meg was right. She had to be careful. “Okay.”

Meg grinned. “Thanks. And could you maybe not forget about me? I know it's immature, but I was here first. I look forward to the plans we have and it's not cool to dump me for some guy."

Bailey lowered her head. "You're right. Ryder said the same thing. Thursday night, TVD?"

Meg managed a smile for a second or two. "Oh, I am so there. Do you think Damon is going to kiss Elena this week?"

They spent the next half hour talking about The Vampire Diaries.

And then, Bailey's cell phone buzzed. Bailey's worried eyes shot to Meg's.

"Is that him?"

Bailey nodded.

"Go ahead. Reply. It's okay."

With a touch of her finger, Bailey unlocked her phone, a tiny smile dancing on her lips as she read the text. "He says he's sorry for the other day." She turned the phone sideways, tapped out a response. "I told him it's okay. We're okay."

Another message arrived and Bailey twirled her hair. "Ooo. This is good. What do you think?" She handed Meg her phone. Ryder's latest text was about the video game.

Was thinking about the point of UR game. Have to switch motive. Foundation should stop missions not assign them.

Meg blinked, then shrugged. "I don't get it."

"Oh. Um," Bailey shifted. "We thought it would be cool to have this shadowy government organization oversee missions and send players out on assignments. But Ryder's right. The game's called Lost Time not Changed Time. All the missions have to fail, otherwise history is rewritten. Have to invert the Foundation's purpose, which isn't a big deal since nothing's done yet. I can't believe I didn't notice that before."

Bailey's thumbs flew over her phone and her brow wrinkled.

"Go build levels." Meg gave Bailey a hug.

"Wait — are you sure?"

"Yeah. You're doing it, Bay. You're making your game." She smiled and then turned to go. 

That’s what Meg always wanted for her, Bailey reminded herself after Meg left. The confidence to stick to something. Meg was always telling her she needed more confidence, needed a boy who’d build her up, not tear her down. Someone who wouldn't build the game for her, but encourage her to build it herself. True, Meg would have blocked Ryder immediately if he'd tried contacting her the way he did Bailey, but Meg was all about playing things safe. Bailey needed this — needed the connection. Ryder was not only encouraging her to design her own video game, he was helping her get over Simon and he was helping her find her dad.