TMI - Chapter 33

Alone in her room, Meg twisted the neck of the Pixar lamp clamped to her easel, and angled it at her canvas. She switched it on and froze. Chase looked back at her, eyes blazing from under the hair that was always in his eyes. Blood dripped from his lips down his jaw and throat, making him look like a vampire out of a romance novel, and she couldn’t tear her eyes away.

She ran a finger across his parted lips and her own tingled. She noted the slight flare around his nostrils and her breathing went shallow. She leaned closer and swore she could smell him. His eyes locked on hers from under his lashes. When she felt her lips lift in that smile, she threw a cover over the canvas and sank to her bed. She hadn't painted his hands but imagined they'd be clenched into fists while he tried like hell not to reach out and grab her. She'd painted him the way he'd looked last night after he kissed her – and that had been hours after she'd finished this portrait.

God, she was losing her mind. It was a painting! Nothing more than a few globs of paint, she assured herself. She pressed a hand to her chest and pulled in a calming breath. The computer on her desk caught her attention. She powered it on, found some unanswered emails from the weekend. One from Ryder on Saturday.

Meg, WTF is going on between you and Bailey? She's all upset. Could you please back off? I told you, I won't hurt her. I'm trying to arrange my work schedule so I can meet her and prove to you that I am who I say I am, so please, stop screwing with her head.

Before that, one from Bailey whose subject line read, BACK OFF!!!!!!!!!!

I told Ryder how you wet your pants in second grade and had to wear boys' underwear the rest of the day. He laughed. He thought it was the funniest thing he ever heard. He thought it was so funny, I should put it on Facebook. I hope Chase sees it and laughs at you.

Meg winced. It was like they were six all over again. She'd never told Ryder that story. How could Bailey doubt that?

There were several from a bunch of classmates, all teasing her about her bladder control issues. She deleted them, unread. Then, a second one from Bailey.

Megan, how could you do that? How could you tell Ryder what happened in second grade? OMG, I'm so embarrassed!!!! You swore you wouldn't tell anybody that story. I know you don't like Ryder, but seriously Meg, this really sucks. I thought we were friends. I really like this guy and now he'll probably never want to talk to me again because of you. Back off!

Her anger reignited and she pounded out a new message to Ryder.

Ryder, I don't know what you think you're doing, but I'm on to you. You’re a liar and a player who obviously knows us and I’m going to track you down. So what's the deal? You want to get back at me for something? Fine. Be a man and face me in person instead of from behind your computer, you slime.

She clicked Send and seethed for a moment or two and then her phone buzzed with a text message from Bailey. Her hand screamed with pain. With a sigh, she called her.

"Hey."

"Oh, hey! Why didn't you text me?"

"Because it hurts."

"Oh. Right. Sorry," Bailey said. "So, I'll be over in like fifteen minutes? I thought it might be easier to get you showered at night. Then, in the morning, all you have to do is change clothes, you know?"

Meg's eyebrows shot up. That was actually a really good idea. "Um. Yeah. Okay."

"Did you eat?"

Meg glanced at the clock. It was after nine o'clock. "I forgot."

"I'll bring you some ravioli that Gran made. See you in a few."

Meg closed her phone and gathered the things she'd need for her shower. Clean underwear, elastic-waist sleep pants and a tank top were perfect. What could she tug on tomorrow with one hand? She searched through her closet, found a skirt Bailey had made her buy a few months ago. She made a face and nearly put it back, but reconsidered. It had looked nice on her. It was a long flowy skirt in a soft brown fabric. She could wear it with ballet flats.

In the bathroom, she readied soap, shampoo, conditioner, and towels, plus the plastic bag she'd found in the bag Bailey had packed for her. It covered her hand up to the elbow and should keep everything dry. When the doorbell rang, she was already halfway downstairs.

"Hey!" Bailey bounced in and headed for the kitchen. "Gran says to heat these only for like a minute in the microwave or –" She put a plastic container on the counter and made an explosion sound, emphasized it with a hand motion. "Hungry?"

"Yeah, but I can wait until after I shower."

"Cool. Let's go."

Upstairs, Meg kicked off her canvas shoes and then tugged off her shirt. With Bailey's help, Meg was soon under the hot water stream with her plastic-covered hand outside the tub. It took her twice as long as to shampoo, condition, rinse, scrub, and shave, but she did it and felt tons better.

"Here. Put this on." Bailey wrapped her in a robe. "You need help with the clothes?"

"Nah, I can manage."

"I'll be in your room if you need me."

Meg was smiling when she finished getting dressed. Her hand wasn't throbbing anymore and it felt good to be clean. The clothes she'd chosen were perfect – easy to get on with one hand and comfortable for sleep.

"Hey, Bailey, that wasn't so—what's wrong?" Meg's grin faded when she found Bailey sitting on her bed, frowning at her cell phone.

“You bitch.”