TMI - Chapter 24

Bailey pouted in her room. She was so angry at Meg and her mom and even Ryder and then she was sad for being angry and angry for being sad and she didn’t know what she felt anymore and that just mad her madder. She typed a terse message and clicked Send. 

U OK?

She waited, not patiently, for Ryder to text back. 

Yeah, I'm good. Sorry about before. I really got into it with my aunt. It was like she was just waiting for me to screw up so she could attack. I can't stand living here.

Bailey nibbled a finger nail.

Can I call you, so we can talk? You're upset and texting makes it hard to comfort you.

There was no delay for his next message. 

No! If she hears me on the phone, she'll take it away. UR already comforting me.

She sighed, wished she could be there with him, that they could go someplace together to be alone and thanked God Meg couldn’t hear that thought or she’d never hear the end of it.

What about Facebook? Can we chat? That's easier than texting.

She powered up her computer, opened an internet browser window and logged in. Ryder was already online, waiting. 

Ryder: Hey.

Bailey: Seriously, how bad is it?

Ryder: It sucks, Bailey. Nothing I do is ever good enough. I work extra shifts just to get out of here.

Bailey: Where do you work? Maybe I can visit you there.

Ryder: The big warehouse store on Route 25. But I'd rather you didn't visit me. Some lady just got mugged in the parking lot. I'd worry about U.

Bailey's heart flipped over at that. Meg’s wouldn’t. Meg’s heart would have rolled its beady little eyes and said, “Yeah, right.”

Bailey: You're very sweet. But I still want to see you. I need to see you.

Ryder: I know, Bailey. I need you, too. I'm working on it. I swear. I have to work all weekend. But on Sunday, I'm done at 3. I'll meet you. Pick the place.

He needed her. Bailey swooned. Oh, God, he needed her. She quickly thought of a neutral meeting area because even though Meg was being way too prissy about this, even Chase told her to be careful and she promised she would. 

Bailey: What about the food court at the mall?

Ryder: Great. I'll be there at 3:30.

Ryder: O_O Were you supposed to hang out with Meg tonight?

Bailey: We had a fight. Why?

Ryder: She’s texting me again. She's really pissed off. 

Meg was texting Ryder? Bailey’s eyes narrowed to slits.

Bailey: I thought it was just the one time.

Ryder: No, she keeps sending me art and stuff. Like I care.

Was that so?

Bailey: I'll call her right now and stop her.

Ryder did not reply. Bailey picked up her phone, but she didn't want to leave Ryder hanging. 

Bailey: Ryder, you still there? Please don't worry about Meg.

Ryder: Hang on. She's ranting.