Chaper 7

Hours ago I was sobbing in an alleyway and now I'm back in my room. Laying on my bed not know how I got here..Cal. I thought he hated me.....What happened to me.

What happened to me? All I can remember is sobbing into my knees and then....now I am here. This is ridiculous. Can someone kill me now?

Knock knock

"Who is it?" I croak out.

"Cal.." He softly whispers through the closed doors.

"Oh...come in." He opens the door and walks over to my bed and sits on the end of it.

"I want to apologize for the I acted last night. I am so sorry about that. I feel terrible for you seeing me kiss Evegline and I don't like her. At all. Absolutely not. Maven likes you and I like you. But we have a meeting tomorrow and you have to be ready. I have bad news for you as well... Elara is controlling Maven now and there is nothing we can do about it. I need to know how I can help you...please..."

I take in a deep breathe trying to take everything in.
"Do I have to stay away from Maven now? If he is being controlled. Is that bad or......is she going to use him to kill me?"

He stares at me sadly and takes a couple deep breathes. "That means we both have to stay away from him. As much as I love my little brother I hate his mother with a passion. And if I let her kill you, she will kill me. Then Maven will get the throne and-"

"Shut up...now." I whisper. He stared at me weirdly. I sense electricity turn on in my room... "Do you hear that ticking sound?"

"Mare what do you feel?" He whispers. It goes off.

"Cal!!" He turns to flame and jumps on me. It burns mean. One arm shuts off and he grabs me. He runs toward the window. I act too and throw a burst of lighting at the window and see Maven as we jump out the window. Time see!s to stop as we make eye contact. I stare at him as we fall. I reach for him but he stays there and smirks. I flip my body over and watch as the ground comes closer. I shoot lightning down at the ground and make a hole. I hit the ground before Cal does and when he hits the ground, he jumps up and grand ahold of me. Carrying me fireman style. I watch as we run from the palace. When I regain my balance I run with him. We protect eachother. A nimph hits Cal with a burst of water and he shots down. I hit the nimph with electricity and he falls. I take a glance at Cal as a strongarm grabs my leg and drags me toward him. I shoot him with lightning but it doesn't help. I wriggle from his grip and run. Cal isn't far ahead of me and slows so I can catch up. He grabs my hand and drags me out of Norta.

"Cal! Wait..." He stops and turns aseoumd, "where are we going to go!! We can't got to  the stilts and we can't go to the river...."

He looks around and stops staring behind me and runs into the forest. I turn around a look to see Maven leading an army toward us.

"Mare! We have to go!" Cal yells after me but I stay.

"No Cal! He is your brother we have to help him! Please.,,.,Cal...Please. We have to do somwthjimg to get him out of Elaras grasp. You know where I am coming from...Tiberias."

He stops nodding. Grabbing my hand we walk toward Maven. We put on our strongest facial looks.

"Brother. We will stop fighting you, if you can get out of Elaras grasp." Cal says formally.

"No."

"Maven please. We can help just turn your men down. Please." I beg. He looks me in the eye but doesn't decide. Then turns around and tells his men to go home.

We take a deep breathe and calm down....and then he laughs; Elara steps out from behind him.

"You thought that he would do that without having a reason to? You thought he loved you didn't you? Well you're wrong. He would defend me with his life." I look at Cal. He looks back regretful.

"What do you want Elara? I will do anything for you to let him go. Just tell me what you want and I'll do it. Under one circumstance, you stop watching me all the time, or you kill me now and I'll be out of your way forever."

Cal gasps, "No! You-you can't...."

She smirks at me, "well it looks like I won't be the one killing you, but Miss Evegline will be tomorrow in the training room ring. If you win and she dies then you get the throne, if you die well you're dead."

I take a deep breathe and agree with the evil witch.

"Have you forgotten I can read your mind? I'm not an evil witch. Either respect me or you will parish."

I nod looking away from her and walk off. I feel her piercing blue eyes glaring at the back of my head. And then I hear running footsteps. Someone stops to walk beside me. I look to my left and its Cal and to my right it is Maven. I smile to myself knowing that we can all get along again.

"Mare! Hello what are you thinking??" Maven snaps in my face.

"Oh right! Haha. Sorry."

"I know what's wrong." Cal says, "you don't want to figh Evegline because you aren't ready for it. Because you want to die easily so you won't have the throne. You don't want the throne and you don't care what the outcome is, just so you don't have to wear that crown. Because then everyone will kill, or hate you. You don't want that." I look at Cal sadly.

"No that's not what I want. What I want is to get out of this place. I want to go home. I want out of this and the only way to do that is-" Elaras car blows by us.

"Mare what is it?"

"I joined the scarlet guard........they plan on getting me out of this hell hole in 3 weeks...and then I will be with them."

Maven stops and glares at me, "you lying bitch. When I get my hands on you, I will make you bow down to me."

"Maven stop." Cal says

"Oh and I suppose you agree with her!"

Maven glares at us both and speaks.

"I thought you were different. When I first met you. You were beautiful, care free, and wanted to be in the palace you wanted something other than a thief in dark alleyway. Now you're leaving it. For what?! I thought you were different. I thought I loved you but I'm wrong. I have ever since I met and knew what you could do. I guess us silvers are cold and don't know what love is. I have feelings for you. Wild feelings and now....now I am.....I don't know. I need time to think. If it is true. Just know I will always love you....."

I stare up at him sadly and lock eyes with him as Maven turns around and sulks off.
Cal stares after him sadly. He looks at me and I realize that my decisions were wrong and I need too rethink everything.

He wraps me in a hug and walks back to the palace. I ask him if I can stay in the garden alone for a while and he leaves me to sit under a rose bush and cry.

I hear footsteps behind me and wipe my tears away. I wait for the person to kneel before I look up.

"Ca- Farley?" She slaps a hand over my mouth

"Shhhhh."

"How the heck did you get in here!?" I whisper when she releases me.

"Long story. I had to tell you this in person. Sending a letter would be too risky. You mentioned it today and by the looks of it, Maven hates you well great. Cal didn't react....I need to know NOW if you told him or not.."

"I told him. He said he would join us..."

"I HEAR VOICES FROM THE ROSE BUSHES!"

"I've got to to. I will get with you as soon as possible." I nod quickly as she puts her hood up and walks away quickly. I stay sitting and put my head in my knees so when they find me they will realize there was no one here but me.

"My lady what on earth are you doing out here in the rain at this time. Let's get you inside." I nod and get up.

I follow the guards up the palace steps and thank them when they open the doors for me.

I quickly walk to my room and draw a warm bath...