Chaper 9

"Wow. I never thought I'd be thinking that...." I say aloud as I wonder out to the garden.

I clear the doors to the garden and head strait for the water fountain that stands strangely in the middle of the courtyard. I catch a glimpse of a person walking towards me and pray that it isn't Evegline or Elara. As the person comes into view my prayers are wrong, and it'sElara.

"Hello Mare." She says with icy venom.

"Hello your Majesty. How may I come to service?" I say mocking her annoyance.

"Don't mock me child." She spits at me.

"Sorry. How may I come to service, your majesty." I say bowing.

"I would like your assistance at the picnic today in the front lawn at around 3 Ish. I just need help setting up, and then you can do whatever you would like."

My jaw nearly flew to the ground. Queen Elara was asking me to help her set up for a picnic today!? Wow. I never thought she would try to be kind to me!

I stare muddled at her and speak only when she gives me an annoyed look.

"Well, yes or no. I don't have all day." She says tapping her foot.

"Ummm. Yeah I could help you." I say, bow and watch as she nods her head in approvals.

"I shall see you at three." She says, curtseys and sulks off for her next victim.

I stand there staring after her dumbfounded like I've just been hit with a tree. Oh my word, I can not believe she just asked me to help her set up a picnic. I'm astonished. After a few minutes I continue towards the fountain and dip my hand into it.
The icy smooth water glistens as water droplets splash off my hand into the water. It's ripples are small but powerful as it carries flower pedals with it. I watch as it slowly stops and the pedals still.

Time moves quickly and I go to help Elara set up for the picnic.

"Mare! So lovely to see you here to help me out. Do you mind helping me put flowers around please? That would be lovely." Elara says as she takes me into a friendly hug.

"Yeah, for sure I can help you do that." I say raising an eyebrow at her asking whats going on. She shakes her head and waves her hand.

Why are you acting so kind to me? Just yesterday you wanted to rip my throat out.

Dear, I'm doing this for the people. I'm trying to make you seem a lot less awful than you truly are. If you beat Evegline you marry Cal, and become queen. I can't just let you do that without a little experience.

Really? You really have faith in me? I'm amazed, like I'm speechless. I never knew you had this side of you...I'm sorry for calling you a mean, selfish, slithering, snake. I mean it.

She raises her eyebrows and nods her head in an assuring way.

*****

After we set up for the picnic I wander to my room and lay down, but that doesn't last long. Soon enough I'm being drug out of a dreamless nap.
A gorgeous purple dress with silver flowers is being thrown over my face and the maids are pulling my hair up into a crown French braid. My eyes are decorated in an array of multiple purples. Plum on the outside shifting to a shimmery lavender at the inner corners. Silver  dots lining the apples of my cheeks, large jewels caressing towards my ear and small petite jewels shimmering as they branch into a cascading fall out down my cheeks. A dark full purple fills my luscious lips and brings out my violet eyes. After finishing my makeup, the maids decorate my arms with an array of purple and silver designs. Starting out as large clusters of swirls, spirals, circles, and lines that eventually cascade down to my hands becoming small clusters of almost nothing. They add purple and silver beads to my hair, as if making a galaxy out of my dark hair. To finish off the gorgeous look, they add silver flats with that shimmer elegantly in any point of light daring to touch them.

I look in the mirror and don't even recognize myself. Instead of seeing a thief, I see a women who is willing I fight against any lion or tiger that tried to rip her heart out. I see a strong hybrid that has an electrifying, terrifying power that with any touch, could rip someone to shreds and fry souls. I see a powerful weapon that desires to be know as Mare Barrow, not Mareena Titanos. I see a tiger waiting patiently to lash out at its prey and kill it so it will block its path no more.

A knock sounds on the door and Cal steps through. He looks at me, and then takes a step back shakes his head and looks again.

"You look handsome, Cal." I say as I walk up to him and curtsy.

"Wow. I can't...you look beyond beautiful."

"Let's get this ball started, and get this fight over with." I say taking his arm and guiding him away from the prying eyes of the maids.

He glances at me and mouths, Is there a place in this hallway without cameras and microphones?
I nod at him and pull him aside behind a curtain.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" He asks with a worried look on his face.

"Yes. I'm ready to get this over with and change some things...."

He takes my hands in his and presses something flat in my hand.

"Here's something that you need to see if you kill Evegline tonight...if you die...well you'll die and taking something that no one but me knows with you." He stares at me and kisses me. Long and passionate. I take in every ounce of him, trying to memorize the feel of his lips on mine. The feel of his hand on the small of my back and neck.

When we pull away I memorize every part of him knowing that if I don't win tonight and I die, I'll be losing one of the people I love most.

He smiles sadly at me and takes my hand. We slowly make our way to the ball room, where it could be the very last time I ever stare into his icy blue eyes. It could be the last time I feel his touch and the very last chance I have to say three words:

I love you...