Chapter 8

I quickly walk to my room and draw a warm bath...

When I dip into the bath, my skin warms and my mind swarms. The events that have happened to far...are just-too excruciating and I'm not sure how much more of this I can take..

"Ok Mare just calm down. Farley has everything under control. All you need to do it survive Evegline tomorrow and then your life will be with Cal and the other friends you have outside of the castle. Oh I hope Kilorn is ok. I hope he made it into the Scarlet Guard. I miss him so much." I sit in the bathtub and stare into space thinking of the fun times I've had with Kilorn.

Soft knocks come from behind my bathroom door.
"Who is it?" I ask.

"Cal. I just want to make sure you're ok...I mean with all the is going on and all..."

"Come in."

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. I was just thinking...well Farely met me in the garden. I told her what your decision was...she told me that she would get us information as soon as possible."

He walks over to me and sits on the edge of he bathtub putting a hand on my shoulder, and rubbing circles onto my back.

"It's gonna be ok. You can beat Evegline to smithereens and then in 3 weeks we will be gone." He looks down at me with passion smiling at me brightly.

"You know, it isn't so bad knowing I have you." I say turning around and facing him. He leans down and kisses me.

It's passionate and heated. He wraps his hands around my back and hugs me after we finish the kiss.

He walks out of the bathroom leaving me to change.

I walk out of the bathroom and go flop onto my bed. Cal is sound asleep so I pull the covers back and cuddle up to him.

"You smell good...." he mumbles into my hair, wrapping his arms around me.

"Thanks handsome..." I smile and lay my head on his chest and let the thrum of his heart, lure me to sleep.

The next morning I wake up and where Cal once was is now cold. His sent lingers, and I grab the pillow he was sleeping on and take a big whiff. It's almost like his scent is an addiction.

After smelling my now "Cal pillow," I crawl out of bed and grab a pair of pants, boots, and a long sleeved tunic. I brush my rats nest hair out and pull it into a side braid like second nature. I add no makeup and stroll out into the diamond palace.

As I stroll through the palace all servants don't notice me, and all "royal" entities give me odd looks like:
'What on earth is she wearing? Isn't she supposed to be "royal" now or something?'
I pass them without a word and keep my head held high.

I head strait to the kitchen and grab some left over breakfast and go to scout out where Cal might be. Or where my first "lesson" today will be. It's so frustrating when everyone in the palace but like literally two people despise you. Ok, make that 4 people that don't despise me. Cal, Julian, King Tiberius, and Julian's lover. I forget what her name is, but she is so gorgeous and a great person that I can't believe they cut her tongue out. It's sad that such an amazing woman had once been able to speak beautifully and now she's left to be mute. It's a shame what Elara has done to some of these amazing silvers.

"Wow. I never thought I'd be thinking that...." I say aloud as I wonder out to the garden.