"Completely powerless"

I woke up to the beeping of my alarm clock. Except there was a problem, today was Saturday.

I blindly pounded the clock, looking for the off button. I must have forgotten to turn it off last night.

Despite my attempts, the beeping continued. I groaned as I sat up in bed and reached for the alarm clock.

That’s weird. I held the clock next to my ear; the beeping wasn’t coming from my alarm. I followed the sound to my backpack and pulled out my communicator, there was a message from Brian.

Trouble. I’ll be by to pick you up in five minutes.

Great. Who commits a crime at seven in the morning anyways? A respectable criminal would wait for a decent hour.

I stripped and changed into my Anthem Girl costume and tossed my hair in a ponytail. I was grateful Brian had come to pick me up instead of Luke. Things were still awkward between us. Ever since I joined the team I had clicked with Luke right away. I mean what’s not to like about the guy? He’s sweet, selfless, brave, oh and he has superpowers. Those are always a plus. He was perfect, how could he ever want someone like me? He must hate himself for kissing me; it was all one big mistake for him. And I’m pretty sure I’m in love with him. Could things get any more messed up?

 My thoughts were interrupted by a honk outside my window. Dang Brian didn’t he know people were still sleeping. Did he want to wake my mom up?

I swung my tool belt around my waste, I wasn’t forgetting about it this time, and climbed out the window.

            “Hey what’s the deal Brian, couldn’t this wait for a few hours,” I asked sliding into his car. I yawned just for added effect.

            “Don’t think so, South Bridge is coming down,” Brian stared at the road ahead of him, speeding as usual.

            I didn’t even bother to correct him, when Brian got in this mode it was best not to argue.

Wait did he say the bridge was coming down? Déjà vu much.

            I looked at Brian, who was already dressed in his costume, mask and all; he was obviously determined not to let this bridge end up like the other one.

            “So do we know anymore details about this bridge? Is this one connected to Anthem Bridge coming down?” It had to be right? What are the odds of both bridges coming down in the same week?

            “Yah you better believe they’re connected, I just got word in this morning. It’s the Terror Troup.”

            Terror Troup? Hadn’t I just talked to Nightshade last night? I mentally pounded my head against the wall as I realized how stupid I had been. I had been smooching the enemy while he was planning the destruction of town property, and worse, I had trusted him.“Stupid, Terror Troup,” I mumbled.

            Brian stepped on the gas and before I knew it we were on the other side of town. The bridge wasn’t coming down, yet, but there was some sort of commotion going on in the center.

            I squinted my eyes and could make out a figure climbing on one of the railings of the bridge.

“Cover me, I’m going in,” I added to Brian, just for dramatic effect. Without waiting for him to pull over I swung my legs out the window and pulled myself onto the roof of the car. I had to use all my strength to hold on with one hand to keep from blowing off but with my other hand I grabbed my boomerang out of my tool belt.