VII. DIFFERENCES IN DEMEANOR

CHAPTER SEVEN:

CHAPTER SEVEN:

DIFFERENCES IN DEMEANOR

    ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪    

When Nova was seven, she had visited her mother's grave for the first time.

      Before that moment, her father had considered her too young to truly grasp where her mother had gone. She and Theo weren't allowed at the funeral, and when guests came by the house afterwards to offer their condolences, Nova still wasn't sure what had been going on. So by the time her seventh birthday rolled around, her father had decided it was a perfect moment for her to visit her mother for the first time since she had died.

      On October eighth every year since then, Nova and Theo would be allowed to visit her grave. Even as they began Hogwarts, their father would make sure Dumbledore had specific instructions that enabled the twins to use the Floo network to arrive back home, where they would stay for a few hours before returning to Hogwarts. 

      This year, October eighth managed to fall on a Sunday, the day after the secret meeting with Potter. Nova could feel Theo's eyes on her, on why her hands were suddenly clammy and her skin was hot. He supposed it was just nerves because of how she and their father had left things, but now that he was looking at her, he was worried it was something else.

      "Nova," Theo said gently as they sat in Dumbledore's office, waiting for the elder wizard to return. "You don't have to go."

      "Please," she responded, flicking a piece of hair out of her eyes, "as if father would let me miss today." Those few years of not being allowed to see their mother had turned a complete one-eighty. Now, if she dared try to miss, her father would scream and accuse until he got his way.

      Theo nodded, clasping his hands together tightly. Nova could see the skin stretch over his knuckles, turning them white. The door swung open behind them, and Nova saw Dumbledore give the both of them comforting smiles. 

      "Your father has contacted me. He's expecting you within the next few minutes. He requested Theodore Floo first. Said he has some things to discuss with him."

      Nova couldn't stop the frown from forming on her lips. She looked over at her brother and he was staring straight ahead, nodding at the words Dumbledore was saying. She watched as he stood from his chair and made his way to the grand fireplace in the room, accepting the Floo powder Dumbledore offered him.

      "Nott manor," he said in a clear voice, dropping the powder at his feet. Nova watched as the green flames engulfed him, clearing up only when he has disappeared and squelching down into just green sparks. Nova stood uncomfortably, crossing her arms over her chest.

      "Miss Nott," Dumbledore called out, his voice loud in the silent room. "Would you like a lemon drop?"

      "No, thank you." The words felt foreign on her tongue, but her father had always taught her to say thank you to people in higher power. And though she knew he didn't mean Dumbledore, since he often spoke ill of the elder wizard, Nova knew that Dumbledore was her superior. "I'm not hungry."