XXXI. DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE:

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE:

DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      Nova had enough sense to grip her thestral's mane even tighter when she saw the pavement drawing closer and closer. Her companions didn't think to do the same. She saw Ron topple off his thestral, landing a couple of feet away from her. Hermione and Ginny were more graceful about getting off their creatures, Neville looked like one touch would send him flying to the ground, and Luna slid off her thestral with the skill of a seasoned professional.

      "Never again," Ron muttered darkly. "Never, ever again... that was the worst."

      "Where do we go from here, then?" Luna asked politely. Nova immediately moved closer to Ron, accepting the hand he offered. He sent her a grateful look, like he was thanking her for keeping him sane. Though he wasn't off the hook for trying to get her to stay behind, she knew this wasn't the time to dwell on it. Sirius Black was obviously important to Harry, and that meant Sirius Black was important to her. For the time being anyway.

      "Over here," Harry said, patting his thestral on the head before he rushed towards a beat-up looking telephone box. Nova was mildly surprised she knew what the red box was, but figured she'd visited the Ministry of Magic enough times to have a general knowledge of what shape the entrance took form of. "Come on!" Harry hissed, encouraging them to go faster.

      Somehow, the seven of them all managed to squeeze themselves inside. Ron huffed in annoyance when Hermione's elbow dug into his ribcage, Ginny sent Nova a look when Nova's hair whipped Ginny in the face.

      "Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!" Harry demanded. Nova saw Ron's arm reach at an awkward angle to try and reach the buttons.

      "Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business."

      "Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Nova Nott, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood... we're here to save someone unless your Ministry can do it first!" Harry said irately, his tone harsh and coming out hurried.

      "Thank you," the same robotic female voice said. "Visistors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your robes."

      Nova accepted the badge Hermione handed her. Nova Nott, Rescue Mission was written across the front of it in big bold letters. She stuck it inside the pocket of her pants, not daring to put it on unless she saw with her own eyes that no one her father knew was going to be inside. She knew it was highly unlikely, but maybe if she kept her head down, no one would know it was her.

      "Visitor to the Ministry, you are required to submit to a search and present your wand for registration at the security desk,which is located at the far end of the Atrium."