XXV. AN OFFICIAL WEASLEY SEND-OFF

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE:

AN OFFICIAL WEASLEY SEND-OFF

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪  

      Blaise's knuckles weren't as bad the morning after as they had been the night before. He had woken up to his knuckles throbbing - albeit not painfully - underneath the gauze wrap Nova had insisted on putting on the night before. He winced when he pulled the covers off his body and tried to ignore the fact that Theo's bed was empty. As he knew it would, the fact that he had ruined things with his best mate hurt more than the physical pain in his hands. 

      The Slytherin boy didn't need to check a clock to know that it was way too early for classes to begin, so he had some free time before he had to start the process of getting ready. The free time was needed today. Blaise found himself changing into a pair of shorts and a plain green shirt Nova had gotten him for Christmas and started his usual morning run around the Quidditch Pitch, letting his thoughts run wild as he feet pounded on the ground. 

      He couldn't believe how stupid he'd been. First of all, punching a wall hadn't been the best decision he'd ever made. Nova was right when she'd told him the night before that it was probably the dumbest thing he could've done. But still, he knew if it hadn't been the wall, it would have been Theo's jaw, and he would have hated himself if he'd actually given into that urge. And even though Theo and Nova hadn't been on speaking terms for the better part of three weeks, he knew Nova was secretly relieved he hadn't granted Theo's request.

      "Hit me," he remembered Theo begging as Blaise reached up to feel the spot on his cheek where Theo had tried to take a swing. "Please, Blaise, just do it. I deserve it. I know I do. I hate that I have to do this. I hate that I can't tell him no." Blaise knew he spoke of Edgar Nott, the patriarch of the Nott household. Blaise had never hated anyone as much as he hated the man that was supposed to protect his children, but never did. And Blaise's heart had broken at the sight of Theo sobbing on the ground of the bathroom. 

      Blaise's strides got heavier as he thought of Theo, actually sobbing in desperation. He wanted Blaise to hit him because he hurt Nova. He wanted Blaise to physically lay hands on him because he felt guilty. And if that didn't describe what Edgar Nott had instilled in his children's brains, Blaise didn't know what would.

      As Blaise jogged, he tried to forget the other mistake he'd made the night before. The information that he'd actually allowed to leave his mouth. The secret he'd been harboring ever since he felt it.

      That he was in love with Theo.

      "You don't get it, do you?" Blaise had started screaming the second Theo had sunken to the ground and a chill had come over Blaise's bones. "I couldn't hit you even if I fucking wanted to Theo, because I'm in love with you. I've been in love with you for four years. You're looking for pity? Go to someone else, because you haven't just made Nova feel like shit, Theo. You've pushed me through the dirt and you don't even know it."