XXX. SLYTHERIN DUEL

CHAPTER THIRTY:

CHAPTER THIRTY:

SLYTHERIN DUEL

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      "That wasn't necessary," Nova whispered as tears dripped down her face. Ron, who was still in Warrington's arms, made a grunt of pain at the punch, but otherwise didn't seem to notice. His eyes were locked on Nova, focused on the words that had just left her mouth. I'm in love with him. She didn't know if he was shocked, horrified, or a strange mix of the two. Maybe he decided she wasn't worth it. Maybe he wanted out. She would give him that. If he wanted out of her insane life, she would let him. But she would be damned if she let him leave without a fight. Which was why she held her head high and visibly calmed, like a sea of relaxation had passed over her. "Malfoy," she said softly, bringing his attention back to her. She hated the tears that threatened to fall in his eyes. "You're my best friend. You know that. You know you're important to me. Why can't you let me be happy?"

      "This isn't about whether or not I'm allowing your happiness, Nova," he argued, and the use of her nickname falling from him lips made her even calmer. "It's about knowing where your loyalties lie. I thought you were one of us."

      "You're denying that I'm a Slytherin?" Nova asked, suddenly hardened again. "The Slytherin House traits. Cunning. You think I've made a name for myself...became the Slytherin Ice Queen without being cunning?" Her words cut through the air like glittering ice picks, slicing through the look of betrayal on Malfoy's face. "Resourcefulness. You wouldn't even begin to comprehend what corners I've cut or things I've done to keep the people I love safe." At the mention of people she loved, Malfoy sneered in Ron's direction. "No!" Nova snarled, and the force of her voice brought all attention back to her. "This has nothing to do with him. This has everything to do with things I've done for Theo. For Blaise. For you," she spat out. "Ambition. My entire existence requires ambition. My father is Edgar Nott. You know what that means. What that entails. Because your father is the same."

      "This has nothing to do -"

      "How dare you tell me that I'm not on your side. I'm on the side that keeps Theo safe. That keeps you safe. I'm finding ways to fight to keep you alive. And if you can look me in the eye and tell me you don't believe me..." She trailed off and gave him a hard look, "then you never knew me at all."

      She only had about five seconds to stare at the defeated look on Malfoy's face before suddenly Ginny was breaking free of Reina's grip and sending a Stunner so wildly impressive that even Nova forgot her argument with Malfoy to appreciate Ginny's work. Once Ginny was free, Pansy released Nova to see if Reina was okay. She had a two second head start before Nova was pulling out her wand and sending off a Petrificus Totalus that had Pansy falling to the floor in a heap of frozen limbs and muscles. Ginny sent off another Stunner to Goyle, who flung backwards and left Luna Lovegood free. She sent a rather harmless but effective disarming charm to Malfoy, who watched his wand fly out of his hand with a look of bewilderment, as if a measly little Ravenclaw couldn't have had the power to do what she had just done.