Chapter 4

Sharon finally sat up at Cameron's feet, wiping away a few stray tears. She had not had a good laugh like that in a while. She knew that Cameron had been serious but it just was not possible for her to give the silent treatment. She was more likely to talk his ears off, considering the level of comfort they had.

She got up and headed to her seat. Breakfast was cold but it was worth it to laugh like that.  She smiled cheerfully at his sullen face and a stray chuckle escaped her. He shot her a pout and returned to his breakfast.

'Oohh, don't pout, Cameron,'she cajoled. He shot her a glare. 'It's just, I cannot give the silent treatment. I can endure it but not administer it. I am liable to talk to you about a random topic before remembering that I am supposed to be angry at you. Then the effect would have been lost.'

He remained silent. 'Don't be such a baby. I'm sure you've been embarrassed before,'she deliberately prodded. She didn't like his silence. She got a response.

'Baby?'he shouted in outrage. 'I am not a baby. First you insult me with associating me with pouting. Now you call me a baby. Woman, you do not insult a man's manhood like that. Men glower, scowl and other manly adjectives.  We certainly do not pout. What are you smiling about?'

While he had gone about his tirade, Sharon had tried to prevent the smile from showing but failed. She just laughed slightly and said, 'Oh, I was just thinking how easy it is to goad you. I didn't like your silent treatment. It made me feel bad. Forgive me?'

He stared at her for a while before saying, 'You are not like any woman I've met before. In good way. And I accept your apology.' He said that in a very patronising manner. She just shot him a wry look and he laughed. 'Alright, I accept it. As long as you accept my apology for misunderstanding you.'

'There was no need to apologise,'she said, a bit worried that she felt soo relieved that he accepted her apology. She didn't want to rely on him for anything. From what he had told her, he must be a player. If not, then why did he enter her bed when he knew she was there?

'What are you doing today?'he asked just as the land line rang.

  - --------@@@@@@-----------

Cameron watched as Sharon answered the phone. She was, at first, wary then apprehensive then fearful. He didn't like seeing her in fear. He wanted to take away whatever was threatening her and get a smile out of her. He didn't know where that feeling of protectiveness came from and he didn't like it. He hoped he wouldn't be experiencing it often with her.

She came back from the phone pale. She didn't say anything and continued eating. Cameron followed her lead but as time passed, he started to feel more anxious. He wanted to know why she was soo pale but he didn't want to intrude. He hoped she would act as other women would and fill th silence with chatter. She just continued eating and cleared the table after checking with him.

He watched her wash the dished before giving in and asked, 'What was that about? Why are you soo pale?'

She didn't answer him for a while, drying some utensils. Finally,'Scott got me a job as a junior accountant in his office. Well, an interview with his senior accountant.   I'm not saying that's bad but I can't exactly say that it's good. What if people just assume that I got the job because I'm his sister-in-law? What if people don't befriend me because they know of our connection? What if they do because of our connection? I can't tell people who genuinely want to be my friends for me. I'll be miserable-'

Cameron stopped her rant by covering her mouth with his hand. He knew she would just talk over him if he tried to verbally stop her. He was mildly amused by her concerns but he knew she was truly worried about them.

'Alright, take a deep breath,'he told her, removing his hand. She just looked at him blankly. 'Deep breath Sharon. If not I'm going to kiss you.' She immediately obeyed. He didn't know whether to be relieved or insulted. 'Look, Scott does not practice nepotism or favoritism. He rejected a good friend of ours because of his lack of qualifications. If he offered you the job, he believes that you can do the job.' She looked slightly better. Now to tackle her other concerns. ' About your ability to read people, I'll teach you the characteristics of such people, what they would ask, how they will act and so on. You don't become as famous as me without knowing to distinguish your friends from your fake friends from your foes.'

'Famous? I don't even know you,'she snorted. Even though he was slightly offended, he saw that her pallor was back to normal. She even had that teasing glint in her eyes. 'Thanks Cameron. You have definitely helped me overcome my mini panic attack. I guess I have to prepare for the interview now. And figure out a route there too. New York subway system is soo confusing.' She wrinkled her nose in distaste.

'Why don't I send you over?'he offered before he could stop himself. Seriously, what was wrong with him? He had offered her something that not many of his acquaintances, even friends, have any claim to. He hadn't even had to think about it, he had blurted it out, like a boy trying to impress his crush with his things. Before he could retract his offer, somehow, she rejected it.

'My interview is at 4. I know you have therapy at 3. You will hardly have time to send me, much less energy,'she explained. 'Thanks but I would rather figure out how to use the public transport.'

He hated the reminder of his physical therapy.  He had wanted to forger that it ever existed. He had ignored his agent's calls, his doctor's call, his family's calls. The only person who knew where he was was Scott and he knew Scott would never sell him out.

She must have noticed his scowl because she then asked,'You are going to your therapy right? Come on, Cameron. You need it.'

'Why would I need something that is soo redundant that it shouldn't have been invented in the first place?'he asked, gritting his teeth. She just looked at him. He felt himself crumble under that look. 'I don't even feel any pain.'

'Well, I beg to disagree. I noticed your lack of flexibility with your shoulder just now. You can't reach the higher shelved with that arm. You have to use your other arm,'she told him. 'It may have been fully recovered but you certainly haven't regained full use of that arm. You have to go.'

'But I don't want people to know where I'm staying for now,'he said. That was his last resort. 'I don't want to be hounded by anyone and everyone. It's bad enough that I am injured, I don't want to answer hard questions, especially about my career.'

'I guess you will have to find a very discreet physiotherapist then,'she said firmly. 'I'm sure there are many of them lying about. You can ask your agent about it.'

He knew he was fighting a losing battle. So he made a last ditch effort. 'If I can find one, I insist on you being there for all my sessions,'he stated. He hoped she would reject but she surprised him.

'If that is what it will take for you to go, then yes, I will accompany you,'she said calmly. Then she added,'It has to be managed around my working hours though. And don't deliberately pick times that you know I won't be available.'

He swore softly. He hadn't thought of her last statement but he would have liked the loophole. Now he had to give in and find one.

Although Sharon was shy and reserved, based on their inital encounter, she had and spine of steel. Especially on topics that she felt strongly about. Living with her might be more trouble than he initialy thought.