Chapter 5

Cameron was beating himself up during the elevator ride to the car park. He had more time to think about it since it took some time for Sharon to get ready. not as long as his previous hook ups but enough to get his mind going. Why had he offered her a ride to her interview? Now, she would always expect a ride from him. Calling him at inappropriate hours, tagging along with him whenever he goes out. His life would be a nightmare.

'Why are you scowling at your car?'Sharon asked. He looked at her blankly and realised that they were already at his sleek, black Jaguar Roadster. 'If this is inconvenient, I still have time to catch a cab down.'

''It's an out,''he told himself. ''Take it. She would understand, even if you know it's a lie. Just take it.''

But even that mental berating didn't prevent his subconscious from saying,'It's not an inconvenience. Anyway, you don't have time to catch one. Do you want to be late?' He knew she wouldn't want to have that against her and he was right. She was indecisive for a moment.

'No, no,'she said, finally coming to a decision. 'If you need to go somewhere, I don't want to hold you up. I'll just ask the doorman to hail a cab for me.'

She surprised him by walling back to the elevator. He had thought she was like the other girls he had associated himself with. Grasping. Wanting to ride his tailcoat of fame. Wanting to get as much things from his as they can. He had though she was bluffing, trying to put herself in a better light. Instead he was left standing there, feeling like a fool.

  - ----@@@@@--------

Sharon was still trying to catch a cab 15 minutes later. She had only 45 minutes to get there and no cab was stopping for her. Asking the doorman was a waste of time. He had looked down at her, as if she was pestilence or the plague. Her anxiety was building up.

Suddenly a black car stopped in front of her. She moved down, thinking the occupant wanted to get down. She heard her name being called. It was Cameron. He was standing at the driver side of his car. She frowned slightly. Didn't he say he had something on?

''Well, he didn't say that,''she admitted to herself. ''You just assumed since he was reluctant to let you into his car.''

'Come on in,'he invited. She was puzzled. Did he want to invite her into his car or not? 'I really want to send you down.'

'Are you sure?'she asked. He nodded and he wasn't frowning. That clinched it for her. She hurried to his passenger door and climbed in. 'Thank you. And I'm soo sorry for bothering you like this.'

'You're not bothering me,'he said as he converged into traffic. 'And I'm sorry if I had seemed reluctant just now.'

'You were reluctant,'she pointed out. He shot her an irritated look. She was starting to get irritated herself. 'You were. You didn't unlock the door even though you were staring at it for close to 5 minutes. We had been standing there for another 5 minutes. I'm dense but not that dense.'

She huffed and folded her arms. Did he really think that just because she was a pushover that she would stay where she was not wanted? She had little self respect but she had enough. She shot him a glare and found him looking at her, amused. She didn't see anything to be amused about. She returned her gaze to the street.

'Alright,'he confessed. She nodded, indicating she was listening. 'I didn't want to have offered to send you over. I am very possessive of my privacy and possessions. When I first started, I was generous. I shared them with my friends, the girls I was dating then, my family. But it all backfired. Papparazis started reporting information that those people would only know. My trust was broken. Now, I find it very hard to let people in. I only allow 3 people in to my car. And you're one of them. Do you know how long the rest had to have known and stayed with me to get this privilege? Years and I offered it to within 12 hours of meeting you. So I'm sorry if I'm questioning my impulses and your power over me.'

'Well, to start with, I have little to no power over you. I'm sure I have nothing in common with those women whom you have dated before,'she said, slightly bewildered. She had not expected such a heartfelt explanation. What she had said were lies. The fact that she was in his car and had extracted such words from him indicated that she had a hold on him but she didn't know why.

'I am grateful that you allow me inside your car, Cameron,'she told him softly. 'I would not abuse this privilege in any way.' She covered his hand on the gear stick with hers and squeezed it slightly.  He sent her a small smile.

He was turning out to be a more complex man than she had initially thought. What did it say about her that he was willing to show her this side of himself?