(4) Eliot x Reader ~ Delayed Payments

Requested by @meganhammie1
Word count: 1743
(h/c): hair color

Parker and Hardison run for their lives, literally, as nearly two dozen henchmen chase them though the halls of a building that's the Leverage team's target. Just as the duo round the corner, the henchmen decide to open fire on them, letting out an spray of bullets from their assault rifles. The dangerous projectiles whizz by the hacker and thief's bodies.

"Run! They're right behind us!" Parker screams over the loud bangs of the firearms being shot from behind them.

"I am, woman! What do you think I'm doing!?" Hardison yells back in a panic to get out of the building alive, his voice a noticeably higher pitch due to his fear of dying on the job and not from natural causes.

Rounding around another corner, Parker grabs Hardison's jacket sleeve and drags him into a small closet before the hired men see them. They hold in their breaths as the heavy sounds of boots hit the tiled flooring on the other side of the door. From the small opening under the door, Hardison can see a single pair of boots that had stopped right in front of the closet door. He nervously bites his lip and backs up as far back into the small storage space as he possible can until he hits the wall.

"We're gonna die, Parker! We are all gonna die in a closet and I blame Nate for it all!!" Hardison whispers in a panicked tone. "Why did we have to agree in doing this anyway? I'm pretty sure we already have enough money to buy three houses! We don't need any more money!"

"Because," Parker whispers harshly," (Y/n) needs the money to pay her bills!"

"Her BILLS?!" Hardison's whisper nearly turns into a scream before he remembers the situation he and his teammate are in. "We are about to die in a small, confined space just so that our friend can pay her utility bills?! Why couldn't we just lend her the money and not do this?!"

"Hey! She's our friend! Friends help each other," the thief chides with a frown," Besides, we don't have enough money to let her borrow." The casualness in Parker's voice as she said the last sentence baffles her partner.

"What do you mean we don't have enough?! How much does the invoice say she has to pay?!"

"Shhhh!" Parker slaps a hand harshly over Hardison's mouth and shuffles backwards beside him. More henchmen have gathered in front of the closet. They seem to be talking about two intruders, meaning Parker and Hardison, but their voices are muffled. Parker steps up to the door and gently presses her ear to the door in an attempt to eavesdrop on the conversation outside.

"Our orders are shoot to kill. The boss doesn't care if they're alive, as long as we bring proof of death," one man says. His voice is deep and gravely, making some of his words slur together due to the door muffling most outside noises.

"Great," a different voice cheers. This man has a higher voice that reminds Parker of an adolescent. "I've been coming down with a case of itchy trigger finger."

Huddled in his little corner, Hardison grimaces at the man's words. An itchy trigger finger never results in anything positive for the person who's being hunted down by the man with the said itchy trigger finger. Before another word is said, fast clicks with yells, grunts, and loud thuds following replace the silence prior to the sounds. Grunts with a more feminine sound can be heard every once in a while.

Suddenly, there is complete silence. Not a single sound is uttered. The clicking that was heard a few minutes ago resumes, getting louder as their creator approaches the closet. In a flash the door is thrown open. Bright lights pour into the small space and blind the two hiders.