(9) Eliot x Reader ~ Brave

A/N: Here's a request I got on January 25th. Sorry it's so late!!
Word Count: 1307
(Y/f/n): Your full name

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me!"

Standing at the front of the roller coaster, (Y/n) gapes exasperatedly at her boyfriend, whose grip would be asphyxiating her arm if the limb could breathe. All the color from his face blanched in an instant upon arriving at the end of the growing line waiting for a chance to experience the amusement park's newest ride. Not a single person, (Y/n) included, could ever have guessed that the Eliot Spencer - the man who has more enemies than strands of hair growing on his head - is afraid of a piece of machinery created for people's enjoyment.

"You managed to get rid of your claustrophobia when you were a kid, yet you are unwilling to go on a simple ride?"

"There's no way I'm going near it, (Y/n)," Eliot argues shakily. "That 'simple ride' is a death contraption. First you get stuck in the metal boxes, then the thing comes apart without giving us a chance at survival before crushing us. It's a very distinctive, evil plan."

"You're being paranoid, Eliot. Nothing bad is gonna happen."

The retrieval specialist rolls his eyes and continues to plant himself firmly into the ground. He repeatedly reminds (Y/n) that nothing will sway his mind. A bad incident with a roller coaster has yet to cross paths with Eliot, and he plans to keep it that way. If he avoids the attraction, no bad experiences will occur.

"Look," (Y/n) whispers softly in a solemn tone, feeling remorseful for teasing her boyfriend about a topic he clearly dislikes, "I'll just go on the coaster myself. You can wait on one of the benches. I won't make you come with me."

Horrific scenes displaying the possible ways this can go wrong flashes before Eliot's eyes, leaving him even more terrified than before. Now, on top of the worries about the ride malfunctioning, he is stressed out at the fact that his beloved could possibly be trapped with a dangerous stranger and he would not be there to protect her.

"No," he firmly responds. Steeling himself for the decision he is about to announce, Eliot takes a deep breath, exhaling sharply. "I'll go with you."

"Are you sure?! You literally just said you will not go near it, like, two minutes ago!"

"Hey, I took you here today so that we could have a nice time. I'm not gonna let my anxieties get in the way of what you want to do. As your boyfriend and the team's hitter, it's my obligation to look after you and keep you safe. I'd feel really guilty if something happens while I'm not around."

"Sure... even though I doubt you completely, I cannot ignore your chivalrousness and bravery. You sure know how to charm a girl." (Y/n) grins cheekily, watching as Eliot rolls his eyes at her snide remark.

---

"You know," (Y/n) deadpans, "I didn't expect to be the one holding your hand the entire time..."

Walking through the parking lot with their arms interlocked, Eliot and (Y/n) playfully jab at each other while searching for Eliot's truck. An older couple strolling along the opposite direction points out the similarities of when they were young, reminiscing on the playful banter they once took part in. The two elders approach the younger couple and interrupt their teasing to compliment them, praising their dynamic relationship.

"Thank you." Eliot converses while shaking the man's hand, his already flushed face gaining a darker shade of red.

"Do not let go of her," the man advises. "Very rarely will you ever meet a girl who is as caring and lighthearted as her. You and your girlfriend remind me so much of me and my wife. She was just like your girlfriend. In fact, she is still a child at heart."

"I know, sir. Don't worry, we'll be together for as long as I'm alive. I'll make sure of it."

Parting ways with sweet farewells, Eliot and (Y/n) continue their journey to the gray pickup truck lost in a sea of many other vehicles. A few wrong turns and misidentified trucks later, they manage to locate Eliot's car and leave the amusement park with a lot on their minds. The elderly couple's words hover over Eliot like an storm cloud. He glances over at his girlfriend in the passenger seat, watching her adjust stray hairs from her ponytail as he waits for the traffic lights to turn green. One of his hands subconsciously reaches over to the right pocket of his leather jacket.

"Maybe I shouldn't wait," he mutters to himself.

"What did you say, Eliot?"

"Oh, nothing."

"Are you sure? I thought I heard you saying something." (Y/n) furrows her eyebrows with confusion. "My ears don't playing tricks, Eliot."

"It was nothing, (Y/n). Don't worry about it."

"Aha! So you did say something!  You are a liar, Eliot Spencer."

Silence serves as the retrieval specialist's response as he realizes the hole he has dug for himself will only grow deeper if he continues to speak. Any answer that comes to mind makes no sense if he uses it to support the words he thought he said mentally, not verbally.

"Well, I-"

The quick change of the traffic light saves Eliot from a response for just a few seconds as he accelerates across the intersection, pulling into a convenience store parking lot in order to give the following event his undivided attention. (Y/n) watches him carefully, eyeing her boyfriend suspiciously. Before she can question Eliot's odd behavior, he turns to face her while nervously rubs his hands together, producing a ring box from his pocket.

"Now isn't the right place and time to do this, but it's been on my mind and I don't think I'll ever get around to setting my plan into action if I wait for the appropriate time to come, so here it is: (Y/f/n), will you marry me? I know this is not the ideal setting, being asked in a shabby convenience store parking lot while inside my truck, but the perfect opportunity might not show itself in time for me to propose.

We've been dating for quite awhile now and I cannot think of spending a day without seeing you. Even if you push me outside of my comfort zone like you did today, I find myself unable to get upset at you. All five years of being your boyfriend has changed me and I have you to thank for that. I am a better man who wants to remain by your side as your partner for eternity, on legal documents and physically. So I will ask you again from the bottom of my heart: Will you marry me?"

Tears rush to (Y/n)'s eyes once Eliot concludes his proposal. Her hand brushes the falling tears and she sniffles a few times. The long pause creates a suspenseful moment that frightens the man before her. A crestfallen look replaces the once hopeful expression on Eliot's face when he fails to receive a "yes" from (Y/n).

"You don't have to answer me right now... I'll let you have some time to think it over. I know I probably rushed i-"

"You're being awfully brave today, Eliot. Other girls would probably break up with you for proposing in a parking lot next to some dumpsters and complain about 'not trying hard enough' to please them or whatever. Luckily for you, I love you and will accept your proposal despite the horrible smell coming from the garbage next to my window."

Without another word, the ring slides onto (Y/n)'s finger with a celebratory kiss to accompany it.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Scaredy Cat Spencer."