(8) Nate x Single Mom!Reader ~ Forever Grateful

Word Count: 1138
(Y/f/n): Your full name

Car horns trumpet loudly throughout the streets as traffic builds up, a plethora of vehicles wrapping around the block, drivers growing impatient as the minutes fly by. A few angered men and women stick their heads out the windows, screaming at the car in front to move forward.

From the safety of the sidewalk, partaking in his daily journey to the bar, Nate smirks, glad to be away from the traffic. He checks his phone and types out a short reply to Hardison, giving the hacker permission to start a client meeting. A response is immediately returned, prompting Nate to pocket the phone without any further worry.

---

The morning's predominantly peaceful ambience hatters suddenly when a car speeds past Nate and plows straight into another car, sending the vehicle into a tumbling mess. Flames ignite in an instant as soon as the driver of the victimized car crawls out from the door's window; soon after she gains her equilibrium, the driver runs over to Nate, tears flowing down her bruised face.

"My daughter," she cries out in anguish, "Please, sir! Please help my daughter! I couldn't reach her and the doors won't budge! She's trapped inside!"

"Okay, calm down, ma'am," Nate says slowly, swiftly pulling out his phone to snap a picture of the license plate on the rear end of the reckless car. "Stay right here. I'll go grab your daughter."

Nate sprints to the car wreckage, grimacing as the fire grows stronger. He immediately rushes over to the backseat door opposite of the trapped child, kicking at the already-cracked glass. The glass holds for several kicks before breaking under the pressure of Nate's heeled dress shoes, sending glass everywhere. At first glance, Nate knows for a fact he cannot access the child without the sharp glass inflicting serious damage, so he sheds his overcoat and folds it three times before laying the thick cloth across the window opening.

Once inside the burning vehicle, Nate realizes the woman's daughter is a young teenager.

"Quickly!" Nate calls out to the scared girl, reaching out a hand to her with a reassuring gaze. "We need to get you out of here now!"

"I can't! My foot is stuck under that," the teen sobs; a shaky hand points at the warped passenger seat that is keeping her foot captive.

Spotting a crowbar conveniently tossed around in the car, Nate seizes the tool and works quickly to pry away the metal beneath the seat that warped over the girl's foot during the accident. Nate occasionally glances at the flames, checking their location. He fears time is not on his side. The fire is spreading rapidly and making its way towards the car's engine.

A sharp cracking noise brings Nate's attention back to the task at hand. The girl pulls her foot out from the underside of the seat and crawls towards her savior.

"Almost there! Keep going," Nate encourages.

The teenager is pulled into Nate's awaiting arms and carried away just in time. Flames burst out from the car, expelling the inferno while swallowing the wreckage.

"(D/n)!" Tears of relief well up in the woman's eyes when Nate helps the teenager to her feet. She wraps her arms tightly around the girl and presses kisses to the blonde hair on her head, whispering words of comfort. "Shhhhhh... You're okay now."

Constant buzzing from the pocket of his pants pocket prompts the man to check his phone. Nate is met with more than thirty texts from each member of Leverage. At first, the texts were sent to question why he was taking so long to reach the headquarters, but the most recent messages were sent in all caps, inquiring his safety and whereabouts.

"How can I ever thank you," the woman whispers hoarsely. "You saved my daughter. Nothing I say or do can show how grateful I am."

"There's no need to thank me. Helping innocent people is my job."

"Please, is there anything I can do to show my thanks? Anything at all? I don't have a lot of money, but I want to pay you back for your heroic actions."

"Okay then," Nate says with a warm smile. "I'd like to know your name, Mrs. ...?"

"Oh, no, it's actually Ms., sir. Ms. (Y/f/n)."

"Well, Ms. (Y/n), will you let me take you and your daughter out for a nice dinner?"

Looking from (D/n) to the stranger who saved her daughter's life, (Y/n) contemplates the decision. As much as she wants to take him up on the offer, she still has no idea who this man is. For all she knows, he might be a criminal with a history with the law that stretches out longer than the Nile River.

"Oh yeah, my name is Nathan Ford, but you can call me Nate. I work with a team just around the block. We focus on aiding people like you who fall victim to horrible people doing horrible things," Nate explains, sensing (Y/n)'s hesitance to accept his proposal.

"But what exactly do you do?"

With a smirk, Nate replies, "We provide... leverage."

---

"Nate, where were you! We were all worried!"

"Why didn't you answer Hardison's texts?! The man was was freakin' out and drinkin' his orange soda like there's no tomorrow!"

"Hey! When you feel stressed and worried, you'll learn that my actions are a reasonable response to situations like that."

"Who's that next to you?"

Waiting for the chatter to settle down before starting any introductions or explanations, Nate directs the mother and daughter into a booth across from the bar, walking over to the counter to retrieve two bottles of water for the two females and a glass of whiskey for himself.

"Guys, this is (Y/f/n) and her daughter, (D/n). They were in a hit-and-run accident I witnessed. I stopped to help save (D/n) when (Y/n) came up to me."

A chorus of nods and mouths opening in an 'o' shape let Nate know of their understanding of the events that occured. He waits for the team to settle down once again as he sips on his drink. Sophie notices the liquid in the glass and swipes the cup from him, sending a glare of disapproval while dumping the whiskey into the sink.

"Okay. This wonderful woman interrupted and stole my drink right before I was about to begin introductions," Nate comments sarcastically. "This is Eliot, Parker, Hardison, and Sophie the drink-napper."

Another glare is shot at Nate. The team walks up to the family of two and shakes their hands, greeting them with welcoming words.

"Why did you bring them here, Nate," Parker wonders aloud.

"We, Parker, are going to be providing leverage."