Chapter Three

A/N: I was on vacation so this one's a little late but.... 

Happy Reading, 

Tana

Chapter Three

All her life she yearned to be loved. As a child she yearned for her parents and family to love her. Though that never happened; at the age of twenty her drug addict parents, whom she'd been taking care of since high school, cast her aside. One day she came home from work to find the one-bedroom apartment her family shared empty. All remnants of her parents' presence erased. There was no letter saying where they went, all she was welcomed with was an eviction paper sitting on the kitchen counter.

As a teen she'd spent so much of her energy attempting to be loved by the other students in school. This never worked for her though. No matter how nice she was, she didn't dress well enough to fit in with the cool kids. Instead she was relentlessly teased for how dirty her shoes and clothes would be.

And as an adult she yearned to be loved by Palo, spent two whole years of her life vying for his love and giving all she had to offer to him.

She used to think she was an unlovable person. Perhaps she was cursed to never be loved by anyone. Nessa proved her wrong though. No one in the world loved her or truly saw her for who she was like her best-friend. They just got each other.

A knocking at her door sent her out of her mental reminiscing. She slowly got out of her bed and opened her room door, her roommate stood their nervously twiddling her thumbs. Knowing the girl probably wanted to talk about something Eva quickly left her room and gently closed the door.

"Yes, Lily?" She asked curiously.

The girl was extremely mousy and shy, she was sweet but rarely ever spoke unless it was absolutely necessary. Most of her time was spent locked up in her room reading books and studying. Eva and Lily lived completely different lives, though they were around the same age. Lily was in this city to attend the university and her parents paid not only her tuition but her half of the rent as well as long as her grades were up to par. She didn't have to worry about frivolous things like money, her parents handed it all to her. The only thing they pressed for was her success.

Eva couldn't help but be jealous, she'd always been intelligent. She graduated a whole year earlier than her class. In fact she'd been accepted into a few universities at the end of her senior year of high school but had given up her dreams, instead opting out to take care of her parents. She maintained a job during and after high school so that their rent could stay paid. Her parents were irresponsible and used most of their own money for drugs. Even so she handed over her money to them whenever the rent was due so that it could be paid. She worked two full time jobs after high school and denied every university she was accepted to. She lived her life this way for three years. At the age of twenty though her parents disappeared, taking the rent money with them and leaving only an eviction notice. She was sure they used the money for drugs.

Lily slowly slid her glasses back up and pinned one of her fallen curls behind her ear. Lily was certainly one of those subtly beautiful women. She wasn't interested in things like make-up or styling her hair. She rarely ever went out and when she did it was to things like book club at the local library.

Eva actually couldn't have asked for a more responsible roommate. When she moved to this town the only apartment available was a two bedroom. And though it was in her price range during the time, since she'd just gotten the decent paying waitress job she really didn't want to live alone and also wanted to save some money. Thus she immediately posted on different sites that she was looking for a roommate. She was half expecting to get a party every night college student, but instead she got Lily.