Chapter 12

Nothing else had happened involving Zach for the past week. No texts, no unexpected appearances, nothing. It was getting to me, and somehow I knew that's exactly what he wanted. Or maybe he wanted me to think it was over and he was done, but there was no way that could be true. You wouldn't just show up at the person you're trying to kidnaps door and then say 'fuck it, I'm done.' Especially not under our circumstances. 

My father and Jake were back. And weren't pleased when they found out that Harry had been staying with me the entire week they were gone. The awkward conversation I had with my father when he asked if we were safe was still to be forgotten. The worst part was he had asked right in front of Harry. I had mentally slapped him when my cheeks burned a cherry color. 

Other than that the week had been slow and quite. Today was Monday and I was getting into Harry's car so we could go to school. I was looking forward to seeing Niall, I hadn't really heard from him all week. I was worried  he was upset with us about having to leave early when we were hanging out. 

We arrived at school and I immediately spotted Niall standing by the door. He was talking with some of his other friends he had made here at our school. I jumped out of the car, impatiently waiting for Harry, and then dragged him towards Niall. But I was surprised when Niall spotted us, eyes wide, and then quickly made his way inside. 

My feet slowed to a stop in shock, Harry completely oblivious as he looked at his phone. Why was Niall practically running away from us? Was he really mad at us like I had thought? But thinking back to his expression... He didn't really look mad though, he looked almost frightened or guilty. But why would innocent little Niall be guilty?

Before I could make up my mind to go after him, the bell rang. Harry stuffed his phone in his pocket and began to walk to me class. When we got there, he kissed me goodbye before going off to his class. Kids were still shocked at the affection Harry showed so willingly in public, by now I'd think they would have gotten used to it. Yes I understood Harry never treated anyone special his entire time being in this school, but there was always a time for a first.

I waited anxiously for the class to finish so I could get to my next class, which I had with Niall. When the bell rang I was the first to make it out of the door. When I got to the class, Niall wasn't there yet, so I took a seat in our usual spot and patiently waited. Maybe he was just in a bad mood this morning? But then why was he talking happily with his other friends?

I was brought out of my thoughts by the entrance of Niall walking into the class.  When he noticed me sitting down his face flushed and he visibly gulped. I watched in awe as he went to the teacher and spoke quietly with her. She only nodded and Niall turned and walked to a seat on the other side of the classroom. Hurt filled my chest at the gesture. 

There was something definitely wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Niall!" I called, grabbing his wrist and forcing him to spin around. His eyes widened at my presence, trying and failing to tug his hand from my relentless grip.

"What has gotten into you?" I asked, Harry at my side, finally noticing for the first time today Niall's strange behaviour. Niall flushed, looking side to side for an escape. He tried tugging his hand away one last time before giving up and turning to me. 

He paused, "N-nothing, I n-need to go," He stuttered. He made it so blatantly obvious he was lying. I didn't buy it for a second. Harry now looked suspicious as well. Watching the little Irish blonde for a second, I contemplated on just letting him go.

"Was it something we'd done?" I asked quietly, guilt filling my entirety. Niall's gaze softened and he shook his head, guilt seeming to fill him now. I nodded before letting him go and watching him quickly scurry off into the lunch room. I'd like to say I felt better, though I was happy he wasn't angry at us, now I was just plain worried.