Chapter 9: Easy Theatrics

The first assignment couldn't come quickly enough. Seiren tried to steady her breath as she marched up the grand sweeping stairs into the white stone building that housed the council. She'd heard about it before and studied the map, imagining herself as a state mage there swearing her allegiance to the kingdom in the room of declarations; attending the committee chamber for mage meetings; and standing upon the podium in the lecturing hall presenting new runes she'd created to fellow mages.

And now she was here, at last, but she couldn't feel any excitement. Perhaps it was the poor night's sleep that she had where she dreamt her runes failed her just as badly as her burst magic had. Or maybe it was Madeleine, who was still in a huff and refusing to speak to her. Seiren had no intentions of attempting burst magic again, at least not until she'd gotten over the mortification that Rowan had sussed her and Madeleine out without her uttering a single word and his taunts about her never ascending the ladder unless she took off her sister.

She wasn't going to give him that satisfaction.

Seiren paused, frowning. This wasn't the hallway she'd memorised. The T-shaped council building was split into three areas: research, investigation, and administration. Somewhere she'd taken a wrong turn; all the corridors looked very similar: white stones with tall arching windows. Billboards lined one side, displaying the latest runes being tested and burst and flash magic techniques used. Another showed wanted criminals. A third was a general warning about taking care when out and about due to recent attacks. None of the doors she'd passed was labelled the mail room. In fact, they all seemed to be either archive chambers or studies belonging to other mages. She eyed them: Mage Domic Butterworth, Mage Karis Bonneville, Mage Zor Jarsdel. The king's mages. At least Rowan's wasn't there; she couldn't bear facing him again in such a short time. One week's exposure to his arrogance was enough for a lifetime.

But wait... If the king's mages' quarters were here, then that meant their meetings must also take place around here. What they were assigned to do and the information they were privy to were classified information to everyone else, including other state mages.

'Committee Room C' was carved onto a piece of wood upon one decorated door. Mumbles came from behind it. Seiren took one look behind her. The corridor was empty. She probably shouldn't be eavesdropping, but this was once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to listen in on her future career.

She scribbled a violet rune on a piece of paper and snapped her fingers quietly. It glowed. She pressed it against the wooden door, keeping an eye out for passers-by.

The conversation reached her ears as clearly as if she were sitting in there herself.

"...have made no progress for several years. It is most disappointing," said a young woman.

"The King's library is vast, Karis. And the ancient tomes are not the easiest to decipher as you very well know."

They went on to grumble about the library. Seiren had only heard about it: every tome and textbook written throughout history to do with magic, all kinds, from burst to rune to flash to other lesser-used ones, were all there. Even the forbidden arts were there, but the place was not accessible by the average person or mage. The king's mages, however, were above common rules.

"We don't have much time left and there is still a significant gap to bridge between life magic and human magic." Seiren's heart skipped a beat. This was what she wanted to do. Human magic was forbidden – although she knew the king's mages and occasionally state mages were granted exemption should their research's potential prove to outbalance the risks. "We will dedicate more king's mages to scout the books, but there is only so much we can do when there are other things to take into consideration. It's getting troublesome with her being constantly out of action."