Chapter 99: Kristen Harred

Maura's head snapped up and she forced her exhausted body forward.

"Woodbead, no!" Kommora shouted. Seiren wrenched her body off the ground after Maura; for a moment, her head spun, but she clung desperately to consciousness. Pins and needles spread throughout her body. Each gasp of air strained against her ribs. She wasn't sure how Maura was able to physically move when Seiren just about stayed awake.

Seiren managed to get up and see beyond the doorway. The organic magic light crept forward and then ended at the base of the stairs -- and Rowan clutched his chest, hunched over, several metres beyond it. Bonneville, Tylene, and Dent all lay on the ground, still.

I can see the chaos magic you used on him. It's still working! said Madeleine, relieved. Maybe--

The organic magic circle pulsed. Maura leapt out and, clapping a hand on Rowan's arm, forcibly threw him into the circle. He landed spread-eagled on the stairs, out cold. Seiren's trace of chaos magic remained a white sheen over his chest. The pulse of organic magic swept over Maura. She flinched, bringing her body together in a vain attempt to protect herself. Her whole body glowed a swirling white, highlighting each strand of straight black hair.

Then her body slacked. Her blue-green eyes, identical to Rowan's, rolled upwards, and she fell back, still. The pulse stopped at the edge of the courtyard. Already, the centre of the circle was building up to a second, likely wider, pulse.

The memory of Madeleine's organic rune flashed across Seiren's mind. She had precious seconds to pull back Maura's soul before it was lost forever.

No!

Don't move! shouted Madeleine. Seiren wobbled on her feet. The rune's still going -- your chaos magic won't help you much!

But Maura--

She knew she was going to die by rescuing Rowan. We can still stop this, but Maura's gone.

Seiren's eyes prickled. The familiar sensation of helplessness as a twelve-year-old threatened to overwhelm her. She clenched her fists, grinding her teeth.

Don't let her death be in vain.

There's nothing I can do! Seiren bit her lip so hard she drew blood. Nothing. Her magic was gone. Everyone's magic was gone. The Karma rune still worked.

There's always something. Madeleine fought to keep her voice calm. Think logically. Okay, rune's gone. And burst, and flash. So is Mother's, though. So--

There's chaos magic. Seiren's eyes widened. The organic rune is still going despite the nullifier. That's probably because it's not powered the same way as the traditional three. So... so...

So you can still use chaos magic -- but how can we--

Mother said she stripped Professor Fernard's magic with core energy magic and stopped all his effects. What if...?

You'll never do magic again if you do that! Kommora told you every time you use chaos magic, it takes away the reserve permanently. Madeleine shuddered as Seiren's memory flashed before her eyes. Your reserve will drop to nothing. And you're talking about stripping our mother of magic.

Our mother, who is happily sacrificing the entire bloody country because she doesn't think people deserve mages. And she killed Maura, Madeleine. And Tylene. And Dent. And all those soldiers out there.

Madeleine fell silent. She knew Seiren was right. Seiren stared down at her scraped, trembling hands. Chaos magic seemed a distant memory. Loren had only ever shown her how to use it to heal.