Chapter 88: The King's Mages' Plan

"They're closing in, Kristen."

Rinoa Gruger's voice betrayed her fatigue. Her chin throbbed from where Kommora Haigh had struck her with some blunt instrument and what felt like a hammer and nail slammed incessantly against her temple. It was all she could do to drag herself into the palace for safety after what Haigh had put her through. She flexed her fingers. The connections with magic was still almost non-existent. Damn that bitch. She had no idea what she was fighting against, the greater enemy.

"You've seen better days," commented Jarsdel, appearing strained.

"You're looking pretty shot yourself," she grunted back.

"Kristen's holding up the barrier, so I took him over."

Rinoa glanced at Kristen Harred. Magic continued to flow from the glowing rune at her feet, through her body, and out via her hands. It was some amalgamation of complex magic she had never seen before.

"How long will that be for?" she said, gesturing at Kristen. Kristen didn't answer.

"We're drawing in the girl," said Zor.

"We're retreating?" Rinoa said in disbelief. "What happened to our deal with Hanna? Kommora Haigh is on a rampage out there. If we don't crush them now, we're going to lose."

"We'll have our chance later, Rinoa."

"One life is of no significance, Zor." She was just a child. How their entire mission could hinge on her was laughable. "Let her perish if that's the path she chose. We need to crush them all now. The rune will be ready soon."

"I thought I told you to ready it already," said Kristen at last, her voice low.

"I tried. Kommora Haigh got in the way with a nullifier. My magic's no use right now." Rinoa's teeth clenched. "It'll have to be you or Karis."

"We have time to complete it. We just need a bit longer to draw her in."

"We don't need her, Kristen! This is a new world. She'll never see your views."

"I gave you one job, Rinoa: exile Seiren Nithercott." Kristen's words were crisp. Rinoa flinched. "And yet here she is. If you cannot get a simple job like that done, you should not contribute to the discussion. Whether she'll see it my way is not a decision for you to make."

Kristen lowered her hands, her back still.

"We need to withdraw. The state mages breached the wall."

"How?" That was not possible. Kristen Harred's organic shield was meant to be impenetrable.

"Tahir Portendorfer's flash magic is quite formidable," Kristen said in a soft voice.

"They managed to get that monster to work with them?" Zor said.

"He's a loose cannon. He doesn't fight for anybody. This will turn back on them quite quickly, I imagine."

"Then our time is even shorter." Rinoa stepped forward. Sure enough, Kristen's magic shield was receding. In the distance, three figures marched through the debris that was central Benover directly towards the palace. "We need that rune finished now."

"And we shall. After we get Seiren Nithercott."

"This is madness. We're balancing the future of a new country on an eighteen-year-old?"

"If you do not finish that rune, Rinoa," Kristen said, turning at last with a dangerous gleam in her eyes, "we cannot access the full potential of the celestial magics. We will never reach the prophesied powers. You really don't want that on your watch."