Chapter 90: Total Chaos

Six years ago.

"Don't forget your sworn duties, Kristen Harred!" The harsh voice grated on Seiren's ears. She hovered outside her bedroom door, unsure if she should investigate the ruckus downstairs. But the strange man's voice knew her mother's name, so it should be well, surely? She glanced down the corridor. At the top of the stairs, her parents' bedroom door was ajar. A small makeshift bed lay at the end of the double one, all empty. Madeleine was down there, too.

Seiren plucked up the courage to join the rest of her family there, and then froze when she heard her father's voice.

"This is madness, Kristen! You can't decide the fate of the entire country between you!"

"What does a layman like you understand about magic and politics," sneered the stranger. Seiren didn't like the tone he used with her father. She wished he would go away. "Come on, Kristen. The time has come. You said you would back me up. We need to go."

"Kristen, don't do this!"

There was a scuffle. Mother yelled. There was a hiss, followed by a yelp.

And shortly after that, a scream Seiren knew well.

And then it all fell silent.

It must only have been a few seconds when Seiren stayed rooted to the spot, then she wrenched her feet off the ground and shot downstairs, one hand barely clutching the banister on her right. Before she hit the bottom, the scene unfolded before her.

A dark-skinned man with pale eyes, almost like the Hannans she'd read about and occasionally seen in newspapers, clutched her mother's arm by the bicep near the door. The scent of something acidic hovered in the air. Her mother stared just to Seiren's right. She followed her line of gaze, her eyes falling on the collapsed two by the table that lay up-ended on the floorboards, loose bits and pieces everywhere.

"Daddy! Maddy! Wake up!" Seiren sprinted over and shook her father, but his eyes were glassy, one arm tucked awkwardly behind him, his glasses askew. His head lolled like a limp doll's. A weak, gasping noise made her turn to her sister. Madeleine's hair covered her face, but a few strands bobbed with her shallow easing breath. Seiren scrabbled over and pushed the hair off her sister's face. She'd cut her forehead and a trickle of blood pooled beside her, soaking into a necklace that'd flown off the table and landed on the floor. Her eyes were half-open, her cheeks pale, and her breathing rattling. "Maddy, oh runes, Maddy, please..."

Seiren's mind was numb, blank. Flashes of nonsensical images flew through her mind's eye. Her heart slammed repeatedly against her chest. Her body went hot and cold. With shaking hands, she dipped her finger in Madeleine's blood.

"It's okay, Maddy, I g-g-got you..."

There was only one image fixed in Seiren's mind. The last book they'd pored over together when Mother was still out on king's mage's duties. Her most current research in a secret tome tucked behind the bookcase farthest in the study. Soul-tether, it was labelled.

She'd never used magic before, but that thought didn't occur to her then. She sketched it perfectly using the only medium she had. She pressed her hand to Maddy's chest, the movements of which were getting weaker by the second. She would be leaving soon, if Seiren didn't do anything.

But nothing happened.

There was a flurry of movement behind her. She didn't get to catch it before what felt like a wall of air slammed into her face, knocking her onto her back. She crashed onto the ground with a gasp.

The distorted shout of her mother reached her ears. Seiren's mind was so numb she could barely think. Mother yelled and gestured at the mage, who threw his arms out in response. Mother snapped her fingers. The ground trembled and the wall around them collapsed, exposing the endless wallow of a night sky.