CHAOS MAGE Chapter 22: Growing Pile of Manure

Patrixbourne was abuzz when Kommora and Southwark stepped off the train. People rushed to and fro. Military personnel attempted to cordon off the roads leading to the school, but a few spectators still managed to squeeze through, leading to swearwords and running aides.

"What's the situation?" said Kommora, striding up the cobbled path. One of the guards hurried up to meet her and Southwark.

"We're still gauging the scene, Mage Haigh, but it's confirmed a group of non-magical persons stormed the walls of King's Academy and attempted to take students hostage."

Kommora swore under her breath, quickening her pace. "And?"

"The tutors responded promptly and most of the students are safe and have been evacuated. There are a reported five second years who have been taken hostage by the trespassing group—"

"Their demands?"

"Shutdown of the academy."

Kommora laughed with scorn.

"We do not bend to extremist demands," Southwark said, the expression on his face darkening.

"No, that was what our negotiator told them, too, per protocol."

"Are they armed? Guns?"

"Yes."

"Then where are the nullifiers? Get rid of those runes already!"

"We have the culprits visualised from the towers and dispatched a team to await at escape routes in case any of them try to escape. The three students are safe, but they're still with the group in the graduation hall. The doors have been barricaded. The men are awaiting further orders."

"Down with magic!" someone hollered in the background. "Magic is murder! Magic is murder!"

A few other spectators took on the chant. The words ground against Kommora's brain. Fighting not to roll her eyes and slam a chair over the dumbasses' heads, she let out a sigh and placed her hands on her hips, feet planted on the stone bridge and eyes staring up at the archway opening into King's.

"Not shutting down King's. What else can we negotiate?"

"They said shut it down or they'll kill all three students."

"Like hell they'll go through with it."

"We can't risk even a possibility of that," said Southwark in a low voice. "The parents, the sponsors, the school board — we have an obligation to them to keep the students safe from people like these. If they hear the king's mages called their bluff and any one of those kids get harmed—"

"Let's call them for what they are, Southwark. They're using violence with a political agenda. These are terrorists."

"We can't be seen giving in to... terrorists, you're right, but we also can't risk these kids being harmed."

"Who's negotiating?" Kommora fired at the guard.

"Brigadier General Artur Villin."

"That asswipe?" Kommora's nose wrinkled. "No, he has as much negotiating charm as curdled milk. Bring him out. I'll negotiate, myself."

"With all due respect, Mage, Brigadier General Villin was first to respond to the summons—"

"Yes, and we king's mages are now taking over." Kommora couldn't help but feel an air of smugness being on the other side of the pecking order. "We shall assume responsibility. Recall Villin. Ash will be the primary contact for the team that have infiltrated the walls—"

An earthshaking boom rumbled within the stone castle. Kommora's arms flew out to steady herself. She straightened up, disbelief etched on her face. Smoke wafted out of one of the windows higher up.