Chapter 26: A Will to Die; A Will to Live

"No... no way."

Seiren's voice sounded hollow and faraway. Her whole body went numb. She slumped onto a chair; tiny prickles danced on her face and limbs.

"What...? No. You're joking."

I'm not, said Madeleine, weeping. The sounds echoed in Seiren's brain. She hadn't heard her sister cry in such a long time. All of this is because of me? But I don't want it, Seiren. I don't. All these people dying – it shouldn't be for me. It's not worth it. If it means I'm going to die, then let me die. I don't want you to continue doing stuff like this.

"It was my mistake back then. I'm fixing it, I told you! You'll get your body back!"

Rain began to fall, pattering against the window. The afternoon sun hid behind thick grey clouds. A chill crept through the small window opening.

I don't want it!

Fire exploded in Seiren's chest and mind. Her vision blurred. With a scream of rage, she ripped off her amulet. Madeleine's presence vanished. Seiren hurled the necklace at the pile of paper and with a soft thud, it landed and disappeared between the sheets. It was all she could do not to jump up and down on it.

She whirled around and dashed out, tears prickling at the edge of her eyes. Her heart thumped against her ribcage. Fury caused the flames to burn beneath her skin; each breath came heated through her gritted teeth. She kicked the doors open with a crash and ran, ignoring the shouts of the guard.

The scenes passed in a blur; she wasn't sure if that was from her speed or the tears spurting. Bicknor was too full of people. Too many would see and she'd rather die. She took the first left after bursting out of the front of the institute and then to the small streets, weaving into tiny alleyways as soon as she spotted anyone in her way. A small raised step caught the toe of her boot, almost sending her crashing to the floor. Her other foot tried to catch her but slipped. She reached out to catch herself; her elbow scraped against the wall and she cried out in pain, landing on both knees. She managed to push herself off before her face met the ground. Her elbow and knees throbbed. She winced and studied the wound on her elbow. It was raw, with bits of white flaked skin on the edges and fresh blood oozing through. Perhaps it was her rage and the adrenaline, but it was only tender and not actually painful. Her leggings were thankfully still intact.

Luckily nobody saw her loss of dignity. Rain plastered her hair to her forehead. She straightened up and went to draw the cloak's hood over her head. She stopped when her hand grasped thin air; she'd left her cloak, along with all the prepared runes, back at the Institute. She cursed and shook her head, spraying water everywhere. No way was she going back to that bloody place. She carried on running, the fire fuelling her aching muscles and raw airways.

The alleyway finally opened up to an old market square, its far edges ending in stone walls that overlooked the hills. A dried fountain sat in the middle. The place was empty. Rain continued to pour, coating everything with an ethereal gleam. The pitter-patter filled her ears, punctuated by her panting breaths. The chill dampened the fire in her chest, creeping steadily into her bones. The cold air irritated her raw throat.

Seiren lifted her head, closing her eyes. Icy rain jumped on her eyelids, coursing down the creases in her skin and running past her ears and down her neck. Her soaked hair weighed heavy on her shoulders. She opened her mouth and cried, her body trembling from head to toe. Hot tears mixed with cold rainwater. Fear and anger converged into a messy maelstrom, squeezing her heart until it felt about to burst within her hollow body. Thunder rumbled in the distance.

She opened her eyes, her eyelashes laden with water. Raindrops trickled past, making her blink. The statue above the non-functional water fountain was barely visible in the low light. The sun had long disappeared behind thick black clouds. Water leapt off with every contact with the ground or stone.