CHAOS MAGE Chapter 15: The Daemonium's Power

Madeleine's burst magic receded. Rubble rained onto the back of Seiren's shoulders and head. She jumped to her feet, magic ready at her fingertips. To her surprise, nobody pointed weapons at them for using Karman magic. Nobody did anything in their direction at all. Perhaps nobody noticed?

Black smoke flooded the entire hall, devouring broken tables and groaning bodies. They lay around them, reminding Seiren starkly of Kristen's foiled execution only a few days ago. The three Hannans who shared their table lay twitching on the ground, shrapnel buried in their flesh and blood staining their bright attires. The stomach-curdling metallic scent of blood mixed with the smell of fresh meat and vegetables. Soldiers stationed on the far side, their armour having protected them from the initial blast, tore through the hall, swords swinging. Yells and cries filled the air, punctuated with the clink of metal striking metal. Figures in dark clothing fought against the armoured guards, dashing forward with spears and swords and parrying attacks with wild desperation. Guttural screams emanated when the soldiers strike down attacker after attacker.

The sudden scent of cinnamon made Seiren break out in cold sweat. She gasped and clutched Madeleine, but Madeleine already sensed it. Multiple clouds of black, glittery dust swirled in the air. Clawed feet hit the deep red carpets. As the dust settled, the summoned daemons screamed, making Seiren's ears ring.

Four creatures, reptilian and sleek, opened gaping mouths, a hissing noise emanating from the black holes that were their throats. The nearest one was twice the height of a human, with saggy, moss-green skin with patches of white, a stumpy tail, and slate grey eyes. A guttural rattling filled the air like the sound of a failing runed train. The other three were of a similar shape and quite distinct from the previous daemons Seiren had contact with. Standing amongst the huge beasts were their summoners, faces wrapped in black cloth, daggers in their hands.

"Protect the king!" hollered the armoured guard at the front, brandishing his weapon. "Show no fear!"

The summoned daemons dashed forward, mouths wide open and snapping at the Hannan royal guards. The mouths might be toothless, but their jaws splintered the metal and crushed the limbs and bodies of the soldiers, who screamed, dropping to the ground and gushing blood. Madeleine led Seiren closer; the emergency exit was beyond the battle. If they were lucky, they could rush past when both parties were occupied and escape via the waterways.

The tides turned against the soldiers, the daemons swinging their stumpy tails at the armoured men and sending them flying. The less-experienced initial surge of attackers picked themselves up and attacked again, slashing and stabbing whenever an opening appeared in the royal guards' defence.

Seiren's eyes darted up to the throne, which lay on its side. Behind it, the hanging silk cloth had drawn up, revealing an escape route. Fautos must have fled via there to safety. Standing guard was one of the Daemonium, watching the scene unfold before her, arms crossed over the front of her dark blue robe. She wasn't joining in. Seiren tugged at Madeleine and jerked her head.

"What's she waiting for?" she whispered. The Daemonium member appeared unfazed, pale eyes fixated on the four daemons advancing, hissing, upon the royal guards. The guards continued to retreat, weapons pointed at the large daemons, who were on the outside, protecting their summoners.

"Now!" yelled one of the royal guards.

There was a clink from above and a net dropped down, catching the attackers. The edge of the net grazed the daemons but missed them. The daemons hissed, whipping around.

The Daemonium member standing beside the fallen throne knelt down. There was a crackling noise. Electricity shot down the steps, surrounding the net in a circle before rising up like a cage. The attackers shouted in alarm, the shadows cast by the energy dancing eclectically on their faces. The generated electricity reached the top before an almighty crack resonated through the hall, sending a shudder through Seiren's bones. The attackers screamed, their backs arching and muscles seizing. Seiren had seen this before — on herself.